How much live is performing live - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Playing live is when you create something new. A-B mixing in my view is not Live, it's more of a presentation. For DJ's it's more of a statement of what they like at the moment and what they think the crowd will like. For live playing you have to go beyond that.

You need to be creating something new, moulding the sounds, the intensity the builds. Any time there is only one track playing you have stopped playing live. The clearest version of live playing would be Harmonic mixing where virtually no track is played through but parts of the tracks are queued and fitted in with other tracks through the use of EQ's filters effects etc. there can be a lot of prep done on this but it's no different to a band practising before a gig. (You could extend the subject here to include bands, is playing s tightly defined set of chords really live or do you only consider free form Jazz live?).

You can use sync and all the tech tools available to you provided that each time you play the set you bring something new, no two sets should sound the same even if you play the same pieces in the same order.

The remix decks would count more for live performance when it comes to using them in Traktor sets, particularly if the DJ is using something like a Midifighter Twister for step-sequencing. Syncing up a Maschine with it would be branching out even further into a live set compared to a standard DJ set (Jamie Stevens uses Maschine in his DJ sets).

Quote Originally Posted by Morior View Post
    Playing live is when you create something new. A-B mixing in my view is not Live, it's more of a presentation. For DJ's it's more of a statement of what they like at the moment and what they think the crowd will like. For live playing you have to go beyond that.

You need to be creating something new, moulding the sounds, the intensity the builds. Any time there is only one track playing you have stopped playing live. The clearest version of live playing would be Harmonic mixing where virtually no track is played through but parts of the tracks are queued and fitted in with other tracks through the use of EQ's filters effects etc. there can be a lot of prep done on this but it's no different to a band practising before a gig. (You could extend the subject here to include bands, is playing s tightly defined set of chords really live or do you only consider free form Jazz live?).

You can use sync and all the tech tools available to you provided that each time you play the set you bring something new, no two sets should sound the same even if you play the same pieces in the same order.
    Most of my DJ sets (A -> B) are my podcasts. I do it to show people music i love, to present my sound. back in the day when i was using a launchpad on stage or even when i was playing in a band, that was live performance ... In the end i just wanna play awesome music

Tech Wizard

The reality is that in most situations 98% of the audience doesn't care if it's a DJ set, a preprogrammed 'live' set in ableton or a couple of guys performing on drum machines and synths on stage. They are there for a good time with friends to have fun. It's only the 2% music snobs like us (me) who will appreciate the way the artist is performing. How many times have you been to a festival or club where the DJ absolutely sucks in terms of DJ'ing skills and track selections, and still nobody's care?

A couple of weeks ago I was at a festival where Moodyman was playing a 3hr set. I was absolutely stoked to go there, but his mixing was so f*cking bad (still good tracks though) that at every transition everbody just stopped dancing thinking what the hell was happening. But after 20 seconds they just started dancing again. I couldn't take it and went to another stage after 20 mins..

For me, if an artist performs their tracks more than just playing a couple of loops in ableton it's live. And if it's just loops in ableton and I'm enjoying myself I don't really mind. It's just a little bit less cool.

A couple of suggestions for cool live performances:

Juju & Jordash

Magic Mountain High
    (Juju & Jordash and Move D)

Skudge

Trap10

Daliyama
    (Cool 3 man band playing drums, bass guitar and synths)

Check out some other short video's on youtube!
    Last edited by Thijs; 06-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Tech Wizard

I needed to split the post because I could only post 5 videos at a time..

Session Victim
    (Best dance moves ever :P)

Nils Frahm
    (Must see!!)

Darkside
    (Nicolas Jaar and Dave Harrington)

Tech Wizard

Last part :-)

Xosar
    (Performs on a couple of Korg Electribes)

James Pants

Tech Wizard

I agree that most people couldn't care les, and part of the problem of doing a full up live set where you are creating new music through creative mixing is that virtually no one will know apart from yourself, but that's enough because you are still setting the atmosphere, the vibe whatever you want to call it, and that is far more rewarding than simple a
    -b. And if people notice that your working your a** off, all the better.

But to echo a previous comment you can extend the problem creative DJ's have to live bands, how much are live bands actually playing live, the sound quality has gotten so good that it can often be hard to tell a sequenced sample from a played riff.

Much of modern multi deck mixing is something that often only the DJ understands, be it a podcast, life show, whatever the listeners will often not know that something new, never to be repeated is being played, but the DJ does, and just maybe they will go home and say that was a great set, which they might not have done if it was A-B. (Nothing wrong withA-B by the way, some of my favourite DJ's do A-B)

live enough for you

hah that video makes me wanna setup a psy band
    Last edited by calgarc; 06-22-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    IF you are going to claim that you are doing a performance then you cannot use sync, quantise, snap, FLIP, or anything else that takes your movements and quantises them to a predetermined grid. You simply cant do that with guitar, so you shouldnt do it with anything else while claiming to be live.
    im not sure about this... what i do these days combining loops/maschine/sequences+full tracks using sync/quantize is *closer* to a live performance than i used to be back in the day spinning vinyl just mixing 2 tracks - so dont think the use of sync/quantize has much to do with it. its still not performing live but has some elements of it in...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    im not sure about this... what i do these days combining loops/maschine/sequences+full tracks using sync/quantize is *closer* to a live performance than i used to be back in the day spinning vinyl just mixing 2 tracks - so dont think the use of sync/quantize has much to do with it. its still not performing live but has some elements of it in...
    Well what you are also having to contend with is the old chestnut that your not a real DJ unless you can beatmatch, a very overstated skill and virtually the only one that most DJ's have but I guarantee that a lot of people rate that much higher than someone who uses whatever is available to try and create something new rather than have two tracks 'manually' be in time with each other. I also believe that many of the beat marchers are merely phase matching these days but very few people seem to have an issue with this, all it seems to need to be considered a true DJ by many people is to have one of your headphones jammed between your ear and shoulder and to be making a few adjustment to the jog wheel, and then spend the rest of the playing track making minute and inconsequential adjustments to the mixer knobs. The emperors new clothes indeed.

As I said in an earlier post most modern DJ sets are more of a presentation than a display of creativity and skill, (and I have no issue with this at all, my favourite DJ's do this) for it to be considered a live performance you need to be able to do more than pick the next track and be able to cue the track in time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast