The Advantages of SYNC - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What... really... this "Sync" discussion again, its 2013. I thought this was done years ago.

This is like Mac vs PC, it has been discussed a million times on this forum and there is nothing new to add to the discussion, I guarantee nobody will add an original point. Plus it ALWAYS ends up in a pissing match.

I know all the Mods will agree that this thread is under watch and will be shut before the first drop of piss hits the floor.
    Thank god I'm wearing a diaper.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Now that I use SYNC (I press it once to match the BPM and then pitch bend to find the best rhythm pocket), I find myself taking off my headphones with confidence and concentrating on the mix in the monitors. This let's me observe the crowd and fine tune my levels, frequencies, loops and effects without having to worry about drift so much.

>
    Huh? Couldn't just match the BPM's by moving the pitch and then looking at the read out on your screen and still doing the exact same thing afterwords? Seems like a post wanting to validate why someone uses Sync. By the description above I think you saved 1 second of time by pressing a button vs. slidding a fader if you are still looking to pitch bend and find something called a rhythm pocket?

having said that. I've got no hate for sync.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

What the hell is a rhythm pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What... really... this "Sync" discussion again, its 2013. I thought this was done years ago.

This is like Mac vs PC, it has been discussed a million times on this forum and there is nothing new to add to the discussion, I guarantee nobody will add an original point. Plus it ALWAYS ends up in a pissing match.

I know all the Mods will agree that this thread is under watch and will be shut before the first drop of piss hits the floor.
    Then it was Vinyl against CD's.

Then it was CD's against controllers.

Soon its gonna be Controllers against iPad's.

Watch....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Is controller's against iPads really the same thing though?
    Vinyl's vs CDs and CDs against controllers was about "old skool" guys complaining things were getting too easy, I don't see it being the case with controllers vs iPads though?
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    What the hell is a rhythm pocket?
    When you press SYNC (in Traktor) it perfectly aligns the beatgrid of DECK A with the beatgid of DECK B.

Although this is "synced up" it doesn't mean it's rhythmically perfect.

Sometimes the beatgrid may be off or the track may contain percussion instruments that are laid back or forward from the downbeat to create a particular groove.

By pressing sync (way faster than playing with a slider) it will match the BPM (speeds of the tracks).

When you move the pitch bend +/- you will listen for a pocket (sometimes it's right in the center) where it will sound best and both decks will sound like two great percussionists jamming together.

That is what I call the rhythm pocket.

And with SYNC, I can usually can set it, forget it and concentrate on adding flavor to the mix at hand.

>

Tech Guru

Funny thing is that I'd rather learn how to manually beatmatch by ear. Exact reason why I wanted jogs.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    When you press SYNC (in Traktor) it perfectly aligns the beatgrid of DECK A with the beatgid of DECK B.

Although this is "synced up" it doesn't mean it's rhythmically perfect.

Sometimes the beatgrid may be off or the track may contain percussion instruments that are laid back or forward from the downbeat to create a particular groove.

By pressing sync (way faster than playing with a slider) it will match the BPM (speeds of the tracks).

When you move the pitch bend +/- you will listen for a pocket (sometimes it's right in the center) where it will sound best and both decks will sound like two great percussionists jamming together.

That is what I call the rhythm pocket.

And with SYNC, I can usually can set it, forget it and concentrate on adding flavor to the mix at hand.

>
    That's why you either need to adjust your beatgrids before your set, OR learn how to do it on the fly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Funny thing is that I'd rather learn how to manually beatmatch by ear. Exact reason why I wanted jogs.
    The key word here is "learn"; for those of us who already wasted countless hours beatmatching in the past when we used vinyl, the ability to have everything beatmatched and quantized is a godsend. It means we can spend time on doing stuff the audience will actually appreciate - whether they consciously realise it or not.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    That's why you either need to adjust your beatgrids before your set, OR learn how to do it on the fly quickly.

The key word here is "learn"; for those of us who already wasted countless hours beatmatching in the past when we used vinyl, the ability to have everything beatmatched and quantized is a godsend. It means we can spend time on doing stuff the audience will actually appreciate - whether they consciously realise it or not.
    I dunno. I just watched a video on Armin and he beatmatches within 5 seconds. I'd love to be able to do that.

I'm sure I'll use sync, but I just like the concept of beatmatching more. Not really sure why.

I like DJTT hardware because it's hand crafted. I prefer driving a standard transmission car because it's more enjoyable. When I go to a chili cook off I expect real home cooked goods.

I also like the convenience of a pre cooked meal. I enjoy using chairlifts to get me up the ski hill rather than skinning up.

Sync, no sync....whatever. Tools for the job, time and a place, etc etc dead horse.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast