Speakers for the bedroom .... Compact but with a decent kick??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by slangemenneske View Post
    On JBL Control 1's : I've looked up some info and some people recommend using a sub along with them. What are your thoughts on this ?
    Yes, a sub would add back the lows. Get a powered sub and split the signal before they go to the amps.

This is the joy of separates, you get options!

I drive my JBL Control 1's off an old Denon seperates system that has a 3.5mil jack to go to a powered sub.

Now I just need to find one (as yes, they're lacking a little in the bottom end - though I'm sure my neighbours won't mind)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

at the risk of many people getting their virtual torches and pitchforks out but - I really don't get why everyone likes the control 1 speakers that much and I personally believe that there are tons of better options for production purposes.

Appart from the hazy and somewhat undifferentiated highs the designers compensated the small size of the speakers by tuning the reflex vent to a kick bass frequency (somewhere around 80->100hz). While that might sound nice and suggest more bass than is actually there it doesn't really help to record a clean mix. If you don't want to use them as monitors or just for practicing purposes they should be ok and not that expensive but if you`re thinking about adding a sub anyway I`de go for something different.

just my two cents - I don't mean to piss anyone off

I like them because they're cheap, easily available and not subject to price expansion due to some arbitrary cool factor. They just work. HOWEVER, like you said, they're not studio monitors and do not have a flat, uncolored response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12