Mounting a Slide Potentiometer?????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mounting a Slide Potentiometer?????

Have a question about construction, just weighing up my options about monting my slide pots to the front panel of my midi controller.

i thought about using a xacto/stanley knife (only using MDF as a proto)

or making a jig/Guide for a router with a 3mm bit (dont really want to build a jig)

if anybody has other ideas, lets me know!!

cheers guys,

btw, i think i have alread posted this, but you can follow my slow, process here! www.soundsparks.blogspot.com

Tech Guru

so, you just want to knkow how to make the slot for the fader shaft?

I would probably use a dremel tool and a guide tbh... router and small bit seems like a bit overkill

If you could get a slot started, you could stick thin, small japanese saw in there and saw in either direcction to length.

I picked up a cheap router which came with a range of bits and guides it makes perfect 'slots' for sliders. I can even bevel the edges to provide a recesses for slider and pot knobs to sit in which looks awesome.

Be very careful though I lost the tip of my thumb when the router hit a hard section in the wood and jumped out, wouldnt be so bad but the flat surface makes using my iphone rather difficult!
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

Tech Wizard

Router, does sound like overkill. But it's a $300 router.

That being said. I agree. ^^

just keen to see what other ideas are floating around so I can mix and match different methods.

The Japanese saw idea I like though, I will do some experimenting. Thanks for that.

And yeah, i've lost a fare few cups of blood over the years. Last was a drill on trigger lock that I dropped on my foot. Felt like a total idiot. Also needed stiches for the hole/gash but managed to heal up quickly. The crap thing is, the instrument I was building ended up being a shit prototype

Jigsaw and file? That's what I used on my 3mm aluminium case. I tried using a routing drill bit, but it proved impossible to control. I ended up cutting the full section out and showing the fader track as part of the case.

A lot depends on the material you're cutting.
    Last edited by Archies'bald; 03-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.

when i said cheap router mine cost £20 (so thats what $30) and it will cut thin sheet aluminum so long as i go slow.

As you say its a case of mix and match untill you find the appropriate method for the material your working with.
    Live 8 / X-session Pro / KP3 / SCS.3D / Launch Pad / Pacemaker

And a large pile of custom diy midi controllers

Tech Guru

I've cut myself up pretty badly over the years. Most of them were actually with hand tools (planes, saws). I just counted myself lucky that they were not power saws, or jointers haha.

I mean, if your router is a plunge router, and you set up guides, I think you could do it no problem. It looks like you have woodoworking experience, based on you blog (I also make guitars in my spare time).

Tech Wizard

archie, that looks pretty sick!, im also doing the ps2 thumbstick, but hiding instead of seeing the joystick guts.

cerebral, looks like i will have to go guides after all, my bench is already full of Jigs and guides bolted down for guitars etc, so i spose another wont hurt, im just too lazy

sine, yeah mate, plunge router, had it for years, im just sick if using it, havent had much experience with dremel though, i dont think dremel is a big craze in australia?? coz ive never seen one in use....

Tech Guru

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/un...DremelTool.jpg

Its just a small router essientially, that you can throw various bits into.

I compare it to using a pencil in comparison to a paint roller.

Tech Wizard

oh.. those..

yeah, ill have to check it out, are they fairly priced?

accept other branded bits apart from 'dremel'

cheers for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast