VCI-300 or VCI-100?
    Tech Student

Default VCI-300 or VCI-100?

Hello there,

i am wondering what do you think of these 2. Can you do the same stuff on a VCI300 as on the VCI100?

and another thing.. Traktor Pro or ITCH?

I have a feeling that you can get much more creative on the VCI100 and i dont know about the new ITCH how they dealt with the effects..

please give me some opinions

thank you

If you want effects with the vci 300 look into the vfx-1 effects controller, if you do a youtube search there are some helpful videos. I just got rid of my standard vci 100 and am currently considering between the vci-100 arcade and the vci-300 + vfx-1, as well as a slew of others, so I feel you, its tough! Good luck with your choice, and make sure you do your research! . Cheers

Hi Thierry, welcome to the forum.

You asked one of the oldest questions on this or any Digital DJ forum: Traktor vs Itch (or Traktor Scratch vs. SSL). It comes down to opinion/feel/likes. You can only be the judge of what is good for you.

As a noob, I chose the VCI-100 route so that I can jump in with the DJTT guys and this forum. I have not regretted a dollar or a second of my time. The amount of experience as DJs, Digital DJs and time on the 100 is unsurpassed.

Therefore, I suggest a VCI-100 SE or Arcade if it fits your budget (REALLY worth the experience) and a sound card. Upgrade to Traktor Pro and you are laughing down the road to learning this wacky wonderful life style. As for the sound card, think about where you want to go (I want to stay digital, so the Audio 2 DJ was a perfect fit for me) and don't go overboard unless you quickly want to go DVS.

Spend some time looking through this forum, read and watch the tutorials on the main site page. then get down to a store (if there is anything close to you) and put your hand on some controllers and you will see what we mean.

Most important, enjoy! Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Student

yeah same as the person above me i just got my vci 100 and an audio 2 dj soundcard, its been a blast so far and traktor pro was pretty easy to get into

Itch is more "friendly user" than traktor and the VCI 300 is simply huge for classic mixing style. The global approach is closer to CD/Vinyl traditional mixing style.
    It would be the noob choice for me.

If you want to go further, create instant remixes/mashups, 4 deck mixing, juggle and so on then the traktor/VCI100SE has no competitors but it does need a lot more practice.
    DJ rig : MacBookPro 13"/2.26 (10.6.4) + Echo Audiofire 2 + VCI-100 SE (3.5.1 tsi) + Traktor Pro (1.2.6)
    If you want to know more about my music : www.myspace.com/ooneymusic

Tech Student

Ive heard that its kind of a stepback when you use the vfx1 effects controller, and i dont know if it has stuff like beatmasher and slicer what i would like to use.

and i dont know about beat juggling on the vci300 too i dont see a way to do it, unless i hook up a keyboard controller to it and map it to the cues..

i was checking out the reloop 2 master edition, does anybody have some exp. with those? ive heard these reloop controller are really lowbudget so they cannot be compared with the vestax. But i think TSpro suites me better.

thanks for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by slyooney View Post
    Itch is more "friendly user" than traktor and the VCI 300 is simply huge for classic mixing style. The global approach is closer to CD/Vinyl traditional mixing style.
    It would be the noob choice for me.

If you want to go further, create instant remixes/mashups, 4 deck mixing, juggle and so on then the traktor/VCI100SE has no competitors but it does need a lot more practice.
    juggle? hardly. the vci300 is made to beatjuggle. if your talking about cue point juggling then the 300 can handle that 2 with 3 cues per deck, sure its not 8 but, its meant for traditional beatjuggling. having said that, i really dont see a purpose in getting a vci300 unless your a hiphop, breaks, or just overall scratch dj. for the mix dj the vci100 would be the much better choice.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

I'm actually having the same struggle. I am kind of a noob. I bought the xponent but after discovering this site I am really leaning towards getting a VCI-100 Arcade or a VCI-300. The price is just about the same, I just can't decide which I will enjoy more in the long run. I do have my xponent mapped to Traktor Pro so it's doing ok, but I just don't really like the look or feel of the controller and it just seems like there is way less information out there about getting the most out of it.

I really like the look and feel of the vci-300, but I haven't found a 100 to play with yet. Is there a big difference in the size and features with the 100?

Also, if I end up going with the arcade edition 100, any suggestions on a color scheme? I want something that pops in the black light.

The 300 is a bit bigger than the 100.

And really what it comes down to, is what software you plan on using. Both controllers do what the software allows them to do, and do it well. The 300 using HID data and so the jog wheels are more accurate, but Traktor is honestly a more powerful program, but it doesn't have the slick feel of ITCH.

Decide where you want to go with mixing, and then go from there. If you see yourself doing multiple decks and juggling, Traktor is probably the better choice. If you want straight 2 deck mixing, and to spend some extra cash for effects, ITCH is really strong in that department.

I personally was planning on buying a 300. Then I really thought about it, and had some $$ issues along with it, and decided to go with the Traktor route, and a more modular controller approach.

So the world is your limit, but the VCI-100SE is an amazing piece of kit with all the things you can do with it, and seems to be well worth the investment.