Apple iOS 4.2 enables CoreMIDI support for iPhone and iPad - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I still wonder what's up with this. The people that use midi like that are just a small drop in Apples bucket when it comes to iOS. Does Apple of something in the pipeline that this might work with maybe?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I still wonder what's up with this. The people that use midi like that are just a small drop in Apples bucket when it comes to iOS. Does Apple of something in the pipeline that this might work with maybe?
    It's not a maybe - CoreMIDI is part of the upcoming iOS4.2 SDK (re-quote): http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._and_more.html

CoreAudio was always there. The Harmonicdog's software is already using multi channel Audio. I was digging their forum to see what devices are supported and people report success with quite a lot of USB 1 devices. Most of the users are using single channel USB output devices for Master out and monitor via the built-in headphones out. Pre-cueing is already possible and the more people realize it, the more DJ & production apps will appear on the AppStore. I could easily forsee a djay fork being ported to the iOS 4.2 once released. They already have a database of maps for Vestax Spin and many other controllers which would work out of the box.

MIDI users are not a tiny drop. Consider all the people that produce + the ones who'd like to use the iPhone/iPod/iPad for DJing. Definitely not that few, man.

Really wonderful piece of information and I appreciate it that you share something humorous and reader can relate to this,

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knaumov View Post
    It's not a maybe - CoreMIDI is part of the upcoming iOS4.2 SDK (re-quote): http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._and_more.html
    I'm not questioning whether or not it's coming, just wondering of maybe Apple is creating a product to go along with it. I guess they have sold keyboards and other musical devices in the apple store for some time, so maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

I still think that out of all the people that have an iOS device that midi users are a small drop in Apple's bucket though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

About a year ago at a conference some random guy told me that Apple has some DJ hardware in the works. It was right after the Vestax Spin came out so I assumed that was what he was talking about but he said no he had seen a prototype that had a touchscreen interface along with faders and some kind of platters. I had decided he was either stoned or full of shit, but who knows, maybe there's something more to this. It doesn't seem to fit with Apple's model -- DJ hardware is a niche compared to the products they sell -- but who knows? With their support of djay software it definitely seems possible.

Tech Guru

The show has started:
    http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation25

Akai appears to have the software synth since June this year, now (on BPM) they've announced hardware controller which will get use of the upcomming CoreMIDI in iOS 4.2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12