Apple iOS 4.2 enables CoreMIDI support for iPhone and iPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Apple iOS 4.2 enables CoreMIDI support for iPhone and iPad

Hey techies

good news on the horizon: Apple have announced support for CoreMIDI in iOS 4.2. It's available in the iOS 4.2 beta SDK. There are few links on the web for the topic, but here are two examples:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._and_more.html

http://synth.me/music-gear/apple-ann...support-ios-42

That means that the iPhone/iPad developers can start building applications controllable via MIDI! Just imagine the possibilities!

Additionally the net has a lot of success reports for using the iPad with external USB audio interfaces and other USB hardware (keyboards, etc). All it needs is a powered USB hub and a Jailbroken iOS.

The iPad/new iPod Touch/iPhone 4 all have very powerful CPUs. I believe that we will soon witness the creation of multiple DJ & Music Production apps for the last generation of Apple's mobile devices.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by knaumov View Post
    Hey techies

good news on the horizon: Apple have announced support for CoreMIDI in iOS 4.2. It's available in the iOS 4.2 beta SDK. There are few links on the web for the topic, but here are two examples:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._and_more.html

http://synth.me/music-gear/apple-ann...support-ios-42

That means that the iPhone/iPad developers can start building applications controllable via MIDI! Just imagine the possibilities!

Additionally the net has a lot of success reports for using the iPad with external USB audio interfaces and other USB hardware (keyboards, etc). All it needs is a powered USB hub and a Jailbroken iOS.

The iPad/new iPod Touch/iPhone 4 all have very powerful CPUs. I believe that we will soon witness the creation of multiple DJ & Music Production apps for the last generation of Apple's mobile devices.

Cheers!
    Great news, can anyone see a Mobile or light version of traktor for ipad or iphone....

Just go to your gig with your ipad an S4 for instance or VCI... Could be something really really great...
    "Dance Dance Dance just being a geek"

this is going to be great being that your not going to have to use it wireless to send midi data
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    this is going to be great being that your not going to have to use it wireless to send midi data
    The SDK enables MIDI host API. It's not about sending MIDI data, it's about receiving MIDI data. In other words - plugin the VCI-100 + NI Audio2 or any other USB controller + USB audio to you iPhone or iPad and that's your setup.

all you'll need is powered USB hub and the apple Camera Connection Kit for USB host port.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The SDK enables MIDI host API. It's not about sending MIDI data, it's about receiving MIDI data. In other words - plugin the VCI-100 + NI Audio2 or any other USB controller + USB audio to you iPhone or iPad and that's your setup.

all you'll need is powered USB hub and the apple Camera Connection Kit for USB host port.
    That's if they enable it to be used that way. You can't just use the camera connection kit to plug any ol thing you want in to it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    That's if they enable it to be used that way. You can't just use the camera connection kit to plug any ol thing you want in to it.
    What you say is partially true. There are reports and youtube videos for using Audio, Keyboards and other USB peripherals with the USB part of camera connection kit. USB Thumb Drives and HDDs are also operational on jailbroken devices.

Audio interface connected to the USB is also reported operational:
    http://db.tidbits.com/article/11221
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...nfirmed-250703
    This is for simple USB audio interfaces which require no special driver. It's CoreAudio running inside, so potentially all HW manufacturers can port and rebuild their drivers for iOS support if they wish and agree with Apple to do so.

As per the MIDI - it's getting officially enabled by Apple, which means that you will be able to plug USB MIDI hardware to the USB dongle of the camera kit. There is no other point in enabling the CoreMIDI in the API.

On the hack side - I have experience with Hackintosh (running Mac OSX on PC) and also with Jailbroken iPhone. Both OS X and iOS are UNIX inside, very similar to FreeBSD, and you could do many things with them. There is a file system with drivers, shell scripts, etc inside. An average Unix/FreeBSD/Linux user feels at home once SSH and console are installed. It should not require huge efforts to port, build & plug any open source driver to the iOS, considering that the camera kit provides USB host. Practically, the Jailbrake is the way Apple are limiting the average user from messing with OS internals - once you jailbrake, it becomes a nice UNIX system with lots of possibilities.

Guys, Apple are just about to open the door for the i* devices to become full scale musicians' tools on their own - not just TouchOSC control interfaces. If you ever watched Steve Jobs doing presentations (the one from Sept 1st 2010 in particular) he tends to say how much Apple's staff loves music. Well, that's a logical step forward, don't you think!

Guys, Apple are just about to open the door for the i* devices to become full scale musicians' tools on their own - not just TouchOSC control interfaces. If you ever watched Steve Jobs doing presentations (the one from Sept 1st 2010 in particular) he tends to say how much Apple's staff loves music. Well, that's a logical step forward, don't you think!
    You coudnt be more right but Apple has show us over the time that they are not too much open mind with this kind of things, but this could really mind a real change in the way musicians play, we´ve been seeing intresting things like the amplitube for ipod.

But really one of the things i dont like is using my laptop for djing or production and also for work, but if i get able to use an ipad as a carrier for my software dj and music i could take it anywhere set my music and be allways ready to play....

I really wish this turning point gets to apple they could sell tons of ipads, even so you dont need a revamped interface for software, you will allways need controllers thats it. Touchscreens are great but knobs are knobs it the same for faders and buttons, they have a physical response that we all love...
    "Dance Dance Dance just being a geek"

it would be dope to get a lite version of traktor and using the audio 2 as the sound card.

Traktor Lite> 2decks>2 fx>music from ipad. that would be sick.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Check this out: http://www.harmonicdog.com/

it's an official DAW software, available on AppStore with support of multi channel USB audio interfaces over the USB camera Connection Kit (with powered USB hub).

No jailbraking needed, nothing.

dunno about ipad for performance, but Id love to see a mini version of traktor where you could import, create playlists, drop cue points and do all of your other dull dj preparation work on something portable. Would make train rides a bit more productive.

Oh, and your changes would sync to the cloud, or thumb drive, for proper traktor syncing on your performance machine.

Terribly OT, but I felt like dreaming for a brief moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast