Digital DJ Startup Gear
    Tech Convert

Default Digital DJ Startup Gear

So I'm going to be getting some money soon ($300) to be exact and I am planning on using it to startup Digital DJing around Mid-Michigan.

My plan at this point is to buy up a Traktor Kontrol X1 and upgrade from the LE that comes with that to Pro. All in all this will cost 360 (I'll save up the other 60). My dad and I have a little deal where if I work for the money, and I spend it on stuff that is expensive, {like gear, he'll kick some of the cost if he can. So I'll hopefully have a little extra cash on top of this 360.

My question is, if I do end up getting a little extra coin, what should I drop it on? Should I buy a soundcard and if so which one (I was thinking about Audio 2 or Audio 4 but I'm a little confused as to what the benefits of the Audio 4 are anyways) or should I buy a small mixer? I have no idea where to look for INEXPENSIVE mixers that are still quality. All I really want from the mixer would be to control volume fades and a crossfader though, so I could probably build my own little midi-box for that if it would be cheaper.

In my dreams I'd have an X1 with a mixer like the XONE 22 or 42 with a midifighter or two and then some turntables but that is alas just a dream.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kylemac; 10-07-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Tech Mentor

If you buy just an X1....you're going to NEED a soundcard to let you cue up the tracks.

An audio 4 will be fine for that, but at $200, it's taking a fair chunk out of the 360 you only plan on spending!

Tech Guru

the audio2 gives you 2 outputs: one main out, and one for headphone cueing (or 2 external channels if you get an analog mixer- then cue from the mixer..what I do)

the audio 4 does the same thing, except for that it accomodates 2 input for timecode SUCH AS: 2 turntables or 2cjds or whatever.

The X1 is aimed towards controlling the effects parameters of Traktor. You COULD map it out to be a mixer but you'd still be missing some usability..
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

If you're just starting out the audio 2 will be fine mate. Audio 4 is a lot more sturdy and has inputs as well as outputs. The X1 is a great buy, i just got one myself and have already written a mapping for it so you can mix internally with just that if necessary. But you deffo need a soundcard mate, if you can stretch to an Audio 4 get that if you can.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks everyone I'll see if I can get some more cash and get at least an audio 2