What is the best laptop for DJing - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

The mac looks better and has a better build quality, spec-wise, a £500 windows laptop will blow a £800 mac out of the water

It's a fact, not an opinion.

Tech Wizard

I bought a Dell Latitude E6410 for $702 out the door (that included ~$57 NY state tax). Got it refurbished from the Dell outlet using a 15% off coupon. These coupons are available most of the time (check this thread over in another forum for coupon codes).

What did I get for $700 out the door?

Dell Latitude E6410
    14.1" 1440x900 screen (matte)
    4.5 lbs (with 6-cell battery, it's 4.2 lbs if you get the 4-cell battery)
    Core i5-520M (2.4GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads, 2.93GHz Turbo)
    4GB DDR3
    250GB 7200rpm hard drive
    4 x USB 2.0 (one is an USB 2.0/eSATA combo port)
    Firewire 400, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n 3x3 WiFi (up to 450Mbps), VGA, DisplayPort, SD Card Reader, SmartCard Reader, Wireless Smart Card Reader, Bluetooth 3.0, ExpressCard slot
    Backlit Keyboard
    3-year NBD warranty
    Built like a tank
    DVD drive is in a media bay and can be replaced with a second hard drive or SSD (I replaced with an SSD).

Yes, screen and battery life aren't as good as in the MBPs. But, hello, its $700 and I get better build quality than a Mac and a couple of additional features.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Boring............................................ .................................... oh sorry i just fell asleep on the keyboard.

What was the question? Pineapple or no pineapple on pizza...

OH MY GOD A 42" SCREEN FOR DJING ... Look !!!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Boring............................................ .................................... oh sorry i just fell asleep on the keyboard.

What was the question? Pineapple or no pineapple on pizza...

OH MY GOD A 42" SCREEN FOR DJING ... Look !!!
    I don't know if you were having a go at me, but bigger screen = better visibility to a certain extent. I wouldn't like to have a 13inch laptop

Quote Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
    Hey Guys,

This question is asked so many times. But now the technoly changed. So I'm just wondering what laptop should I buy for DJing.

Should I go for,
    1. MacBook Pro
    2. Sony viao
    3. HP

But my budget is around $1000 so I could only go for macbook

What do you guys think about sony viao. I can get good 15 inch sony for $1000. Is it worthy than goin for macbook 13 inch?

I'm bit confused. Glad if someone can help.

Thanks.
    If your budget is that high, you should just go with a Mac.

I can understand that although the mac folks do have issues with DJ software... the feeling is that it just generally works consistently fine. This makes sense because (in the case of Traktor) Native Instruments only has to test it with less than half a dozen models and they're done. It would be insane for them to test Traktor on EVERY PC Laptop that exists as there is greater variety, and the frequency at which new models are released is a lot greater than apple's release sched.

FWIW, I play on an old Dell D800 with controller and haven't a SINGLE problem...and this is basically a $200 laptop on eBay.

Getting a mac is safe... if your budget was less, then it would be a different story...but IMO, once you run Traktor in full screen they all look and operate the same.

Nosferatu

"A stable rig is only a fresh OS install away"
    Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-25-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    The bast laptop period, would inherently be the best DJ laptop but not to the converse due to the relatively low specifications that Traktor and Ableton are able to seamlessly run under. However if you feel the need for oscene computing power http://www.eurocom.com/ look for the Panther 2.0. It's about 2.5 inches bigger but it has roughly 4-5 times the computing power. You could play Crysis while DJ'ing, while editing 1080p video while mastering lossless audio while cooking eggs on the heat sink compared to the weaksauce MBP.
    I just had a laptopgasm.

Designed my perfect laptop, £5587...maybe one day. But who needs 24GB ram eh?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I don't know if you were having a go at me, but bigger screen = better visibility to a certain extent. I wouldn't like to have a 13inch laptop
    No ... certainly not a go at you dude.
    The whole Mac Vs PC thing bores me to tears, thats all.

Tech Guru

On the screen-size issue, i don't think a big screen is an issue at all. Infact i find if i stare at my screen my mixes actually suffer as it distracts from feeling the music.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

13" mac, get a 15" if you have the money, but the 1º will do just fine

Don't buy a vaio! I have one and i hate it! Build quality is crap, the fan is louder than my hifi and the price is shit...
    Get a mac if u have the chance
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast