What is the best laptop for DJing - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Pc better for vdj

If by chance you think you might want to use vdj at some point, then get a pc.

I don't like the way the mac handles video with vdj.

spend as little as you can while still meeting the requirements for your controller.

-2gb ram is a minimum
    -anything over 1.8ghz is fine as far as cpu goes
    -on board video is fine
    -screen size 15"+ necessary
    -you can even get a small enough hard drive these days i think 320gb is standard.

my point is, spend 400$ today on a perfectly fine machine.. and in another 2 years spend another 400$ for a PC that will have double the specs your old one had. and youve still saved 200$.

macs are overpriced and very proprietary.

im not anti mac, im just anti spending $$

^^^

Kinda what I was trying to say (without getting into a mac vs pc flame war).... good words DJ AveNew

An interesting note... in the "show me your setup" thread, there are a lot of PC laptops pictured....so I'm guessing you should be fine with whatever you buy...(obvious "don't" laptops notwithstanding)

+1 for saving money!!

Tech Guru

1) MBP 13'' is the best budget option - get the cheapest (from the Pro series!). I have this one.
    2) The new Air is great, but is more expensive - the advantages over the MBP 13'' are worth the extra cash, but there's a huge drawback - no backlit keyboard. Just because of the keyboard, it's a no go for me, despite the better screen resolution and the SSD.
    3) The best possible option - the 15'' MBP. Costly, but best for DJing purpose. Period.

Windows PCs will work fine too - use the M$ every day at work(just don't enjoy it). The "cheapest route" is a wise approach, especially if you are practical type of person. Don't hesitate if you feel it would right. Second hand Dell Latitude is definitely a good (had few Latitudes). Low-end models is bad as reliability is important.

my $0.02 - Apple OS X on Mac Book Pro is a pleasure and the preferred option for me. Again the primary reason is simply PLEASURE. I'm not practical - I look for things I enjoy, not that just work.

HTH

MBP 13". You can get more powerful PCs, but OSX is a huge advantage. For example, the built in audio drivers actually work with DJ soundcards at low latency from the word go.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What was the question? Pineapple or no pineapple on pizza...
    I think we both know who won that battle
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    MBP 13". You can get more powerful PCs, but OSX is a huge advantage. For example, the built in audio drivers actually work with DJ soundcards at low latency from the word go.
    Post Tone: as non-confrontational as possible...

This is a mystery to me since I've installed various soundcard drivers without a hitch on multiple PCs...if I'm reading your comment right, mac users don't install an Audio8DJ driver? it's built in to OSX?

I don't doubt the mac's popularity within the DJ/Producer community, but the comment implies that working low latency drivers are somehow non-existent in the PC environment.

Sorry to beat this dog Karlos...but I think you get what I'm sayin'.

Some folks would have you believe DJing with a PC is the most horrible experience ever...and I just don't think this is the case cuz I've been playing DVS systems on PCs since Final Scratch 1.0 (circa 2001) without issues.

There's been a lot of talk lately about the uniquely friendly community here at DJTT, yet this type of blatant incorrect generalization continues (seemingly unchallenged)

EDIT: (thinking about the comment now... it has nothing to do with the DJTT community being friendly.... everyone actually is quite friendly here... no issues with that)
    Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-25-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Thinkpad.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

Nosferatu, there's really no point to defend one or the other. Practically both work and will do the job.

It's really not about Mac can and Windows can't do the job - they both can. It's just that one is Unix, the other is not.

OS X is Darwin based. Memory and process management are very well designed. The entire microkernel and kernel drivers module design are superior, the network layer is taken from FreeBSD - nothing better than that. The underlaying API is mostly coming from the NextStep OS, which is written by the team behind BeOS.

I have professional experience with Windows, Solaris, AIX, Linux and FreeBSD as Application, Database and Network servers. Also played with others. I'm a Software Engineer and I'm managing enterprise software projects for the past 6 years and I'm getting dirty into how these beasts work. Deep dirty at times.

Engineering wise, OS X/Darwin is a state of the art OS. On top of it runs a very nice UI - like it or not is subjective. Due to legacy and backward compatibility reasons, Windows cannot become as good OS as OS X is (not to speak for FreeBSD, Solaris, etc).

MS' Engineering Team is very capable and I respect them a lot.

EDIT: And BTW, I've checked your dream setup - Latitude is actually my favorite laptop, before I had MBP. I still think it's superior to the MBP in many aspects. It just lacks OS X ... and the backlit keyboard :-P

Cheers!
    Last edited by loop; 10-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

mbp
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast