What is the best laptop for DJing - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    Most folks won't know their Debian from their Red Hat...
    Red Hat is better for keeping your head warm..?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    Perhaps if my travels land me in your neighborhood we can order up a couple of full English pints!
    Mmm... Beer... actually I couldnt face it today. Had a skin full last nite. Gotta love DJing at a Student Venue when they are giving free Beer vouchers away.

Ouch..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    Did you go to college from Comp Sci? I'm starting in the spring and I'm not sure if I should really pursue it. I feel like all the studying would kill any time I'd have to really progress in this hobby.
    If you're really interested in CS education, don't hesitate. It's an interesting and enriching experience. Maybe difficult too, but not that much. You may need to sacrifice a bit more of your personal time on it, but that doesn't mean you'll need to drop all other funny stuff. As everything else on this world, it will all happen as you wish it to happen (I believe that the environment is usually beneficial to us ).

Nosferatu has a good point for you - being at the Uni, there'll be a lot of parties. Every party needs a DJ!

… to be honest, I’m doing much bigger sacrifice to keep it up with my lady, than what I used to do for the Uni. We now expect a baby boy in January. Am I worried about my personal time – oh yes I am, It'll be less for the next couple of years. But I’m not concerned if my hobby won’t survive – it will, if I want it to!

So back on topic - Yeah, I'll definitely be teaching my kid to DJ on a MacBook Pro. I'm sure he'll enjoy it more than most other laptops

Cheers dude!

Tech Convert

i h8 pineapple.
    Last edited by jaredf; 10-26-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Thank's knaumov, Nosferatu; I really appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    Nosferatu, there's really no point to defend one or the other. Practically both work and will do the job.

It's really not about Mac can and Windows can't do the job - they both can. It's just that one is Unix, the other is not.

OS X is Darwin based. Memory and process management are very well designed. The entire microkernel and kernel drivers cigarette module design are superior, the network layer is taken from FreeBSD - nothing better than that. The underlaying API is mostly coming from the NextStep OS, which is written by the team behind BeOS.

I have professional experience with Windows, Solaris, AIX, Linux and FreeBSD as Application, Database and Network servers. Also played with others. I'm a Software Engineer and I'm managing enterprise software projects for the past 6 years and I'm getting dirty into how these beasts work. Deep dirty at times.

Engineering wise, OS X/Darwin is a state of the art OS. On top of it runs a very nice UI - like it or not is subjective. Due to legacy and backward compatibility reasons, Windows cannot become as good OS as OS X is (not to speak for FreeBSD, Solaris, etc).

MS' Engineering Team is very capable and I respect them a lot.

EDIT: And BTW, I've checked your dream setup - Latitude is actually my favorite laptop, before I had MBP. I still think it's superior to the MBP in many aspects. It just lacks OS X ... and the backlit keyboard :-P

Cheers!
    Come over to get knowledgeable on reliable manufacturers, suppliers, and common protection of devices if you are preparing on changing to esmoking. Studying an ad on a commercial or on the part of a bus is not analysis. Do your preparation, ask concerns. If you get a unexplained response, go somewhere that has a better response for you. Pbusardo online. com has a lot of guides and suggestions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345