Trainspotter - who uses it - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

I have a question about this program. Will this solve an issue with smart playlists from iTunes. I have been using smart playlists to organize my tracks by genre. The only problem is that seems I can't just use my iTunes section in Traktor. It won't store cue points and won't save bpm data. I don't want to have to import my smart playlists into Traktor everytime because I'm pretty sure it messes up my cue points and grids everytime I do it. Can I use Trainspotter to remedy this kind of problem.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I have a question about this program. Will this solve an issue with smart playlists from iTunes. I have been using smart playlists to organize my tracks by genre. The only problem is that seems I can't just use my iTunes section in Traktor. It won't store cue points and won't save bpm data. I don't want to have to import my smart playlists into Traktor everytime because I'm pretty sure it messes up my cue points and grids everytime I do it. Can I use Trainspotter to remedy this kind of problem.
    YES!

This is how I found this program. Like you i use my itunes smart playlist and couldn't save anything in the Itunes library portion in traktor.

You have to recreate your smart playlists in Trainspotter though. What it does is that it allows you to manage your Traktor "collection" the same way you can manage your itunes. So you have tracks in itunes and you import it into your "collection" then open up Trainspotter and you can create all the smart playlist you want and with more parameters than Itunes. It also has a GREAT tagging tool where you create the tags and can just click on them. No typing (you can create tags like - female vocal, no vocals, horns, long intro, etc. whatever you like). Once you have done your magic in Trainspotter you then open up Traktor and under you collection you have all your smart playlist and your songs are tagged.

There's also an engine that searches thru Discogs to find missing data on your tracks and also a key analyzer.

This thing is freaking sweet for Traktor users.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Could I receive the beta as well. I'm in a track purchasing and gig playing frenzy right now. I wouldn't mind putting it through its paces.
    http://www.numark.com/images/logo.gif

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    YES!

This is how I found this program. Like you i use my itunes smart playlist and couldn't save anything in the Itunes library portion in traktor.

You have to recreate your smart playlists in Trainspotter though. What it does is that it allows you to manage your Traktor "collection" the same way you can manage your itunes. So you have tracks in itunes and you import it into your "collection" then open up Trainspotter and you can create all the smart playlist you want and with more parameters than Itunes. It also has a GREAT tagging tool where you create the tags and can just click on them. No typing (you can create tags like - female vocal, no vocals, horns, long intro, etc. whatever you like). Once you have done your magic in Trainspotter you then open up Traktor and under you collection you have all your smart playlist and your songs are tagged.

There's also an engine that searches thru Discogs to find missing data on your tracks and also a key analyzer.

This thing is freaking sweet for Traktor users.
    Hey Haze could you walk me through your workflow to achieve those results. Here's my worklow

1) Download a track, run it through Platinum notes
    2) Add it to iTunes
    3) Sort tracks by genre into smart playlists
    4) Add them to track collection in Traktor with very very mixed results.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hey Haze could you walk me through your workflow to achieve those results. Here's my worklow

1) Download a track, run it through Platinum notes
    2) Add it to iTunes
    3) Sort tracks by genre into smart playlists
    4) Add them to track collection in Traktor with very very mixed results.
    I've been using Itch fora while and it would pick up my iTune with no problem. I'm trying now a way to do that in Traktor. Here's my Trainspotter workflow. (perhaps there is a better one).

1. Down load track into Itunes
    2. Assign Genre to it
    3. Open traktor add Itunes library to the Collection
    4. Open Trainspotting - my entire collection is now in Trainspotting
    5. Get tracks - assign tags (mouse clicks all on one screen)
    6. Smart Playlist - create a new one, edit, delete, etc.
    7. Hit save
    8. Open Traktor

Now when I go to my Traktor Collection under playlist ALL of my smart playlists, with songs tagged are in there. At some point above during taggin you can let Trainspotter run a search in Discogs and find missing data on your song like Album Art. The extra step in the procss is adding to collection and then opening Trainspotter which is a 30 second process. You could also NOT assign genre to it in Itunes and just do it in Trainspotter. I do so I can continue to use Itch and so that my Ipod tracks are sorted correctly. So you could start in step three.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    I've been using Itch fora while and it would pick up my iTune with no problem. I'm trying now a way to do that in Traktor. Here's my Trainspotter workflow. (perhaps there is a better one).

1. Down load track into Itunes
    2. Assign Genre to it
    3. Open traktor add Itunes library to the Collection
    4. Open Trainspotting - my entire collection is now in Trainspotting
    5. Get tracks - assign tags (mouse clicks all on one screen)
    6. Smart Playlist - create a new one, edit, delete, etc.
    7. Hit save
    8. Open Traktor

Now when I go to my Traktor Collection under playlist ALL of my smart playlists, with songs tagged are in there. At some point above during taggin you can let Trainspotter run a search in Discogs and find missing data on your song like Album Art. The extra step in the procss is adding to collection and then opening Trainspotter which is a 30 second process. You could also NOT assign genre to it in Itunes and just do it in Trainspotter. I do so I can continue to use Itch and so that my Ipod tracks are sorted correctly. So you could start in step three.
    Hey haze, what happens if I already have my genres tagged in itunes, will running them through trainspotter and the traktor collection mess up my smart playlists and genre tags in itunes?

Tech Guru

nope. your not touching anything in Itunes. Your messing only with your collection which really is just info not actual tracks. You never touch Itunes.

Tech Guru

Thanks a lot man, really wanna get my shit together before the S4 hits, lord knows my library size is going to quadruple with making loops and samples.

Tech Wizard

Trainspotter will update audio file tags if you tell it to, but if you want to leave your existing tags alone, or a selection of tags, it can do that too.

If you're just using the dynamic playlists then you don't need to worry.

Tech Guru

wys

man i'm really diggin the program. I still haven't used it fully as I'm swampe with work. Started creating my own tagging taxonomy. The playlist are sharp.

The only "minor" think I found is that when I click create new foldeder and the folder is created -- it's automatically given the name New Folder and I have to go into "rename folder" as opposed to opening with the cursor in place

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast