HELP: Accessibility Question from a Blind DJ, b3nz0n8 relay for Tango 179-N.I. Forum - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Hey LanceBlaise I had a similar blood problem from broken retinas, but about a year ago cataracts formed so I can't read anything at all. At this time they can't be removed due to my retinas being quite fragile. In my case I would be using the preview player to figure out where I am in the collection and then find the track I was looking for by memory. How do you manage to keep your collection manageable? Or should I just rely on the search function to find each track and forget about removing tracks from the collection?

Thanks for the heads up on the x1, there is a retailer close to me that sells it, when I get some time I will have to check it out to get a hands on feel.

Just wanted to say, I give you props for trying. I know you will succeed, because where there is a will there is a way.

Sorry for not being informative at all, but I just had to say that this is truly inspirational to everyone.

Best of luck, and I am sure I am not the only one who would love for you to continue posting your progress as you go through your journey in the DJing world.

If someone help him set up ableton with an APC, then he could learn where all the tracks are on the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Tango 179 View Post
    Hey LanceBlaise I had a similar blood problem from broken retinas, but about a year ago cataracts formed so I can't read anything at all. At this time they can't be removed due to my retinas being quite fragile. In my case I would be using the preview player to figure out where I am in the collection and then find the track I was looking for by memory. How do you manage to keep your collection manageable? Or should I just rely on the search function to find each track and forget about removing tracks from the collection?

Thanks for the heads up on the x1, there is a retailer close to me that sells it, when I get some time I will have to check it out to get a hands on feel.
    I organize my collection through iTunes. I still have some vision when I am up close to the screen, so at home I can get it all setup using a large screen to see what I am doin. I should probably travel with a large screen too, but I am too lazy. So I just do my best at seeing what I am loading up... there have been plenty of times I have loaded the track and its been the wrong one, then I just go back and get the right one. But I have had a lot less issues with the X1... I have cut my collection back a bit as well. I do a lot of times just use the search function as well. I think you are definitely more blind than me, but I think you will be ok once you figure out what works best for you. When I DJ out I make a playlist before hand of about 50-100 songs depending on my set times, so that is a big plus for using the search feature.

Does iTunes work in your spoken software that you use? Because that could maybe help you set up your playlists. This way when you go into Traktor you know what you are dealing with in each set playlist.

I know of another DJ who is legally blind. He is a hip hop DJ in Philadelphia, DJ Touch Tone... He may be someone you could reach out to. See what he is using. Lots of hip hop DJs use Serato, so I'm not sure if he can help you, but it may just give you some more pleasure knowing you are not alone. It may be a struggle, but I am sure you will overcome the struggle! And I am sure everyone on here will be proud that you are part of this board!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblejazz View Post
    If someone help him set up ableton with an APC, then he could learn where all the tracks are on the grid?
    This could be an option as well. I haven't used the APC so not sure how sensetive everything is on there. People like us use our hands to feel everything, so that is why I know the X1 would be good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    And I am sure everyone on here will be proud that you are part of this board!
    Word!

Tech Mentor

Yes itunes can work with my reader with a few adjustments. The thing I couldn't figure out was an easy way to import the playlist into traktor, how would I go about doing this with out drag and drop or using traktors browser? Once it was imported would it be the default playlist each time traktor was loaded untill a new list was imported? Is there a way to scroll through the playlists using a keyboard or controller?

I have not looked into ableton yet, I will add it to the items to consider and do some research into it as well. I will also have to see if I can look up DJ Touch Tone.

Yes itunes can work with my reader with a few adjustments. The thing I couldn't figure out was an easy way to import the playlist into traktor, how would I go about doing this with out drag and drop or using traktors browser? Once it was imported would it be the default playlist each time traktor was loaded untill a new list was imported? Is there a way to scroll through the playlists using a keyboard or controller?

I have not looked into ableton yet, I will add it to the items to consider and do some research into it as well. I will also have to see if I can look up DJ Touch Tone.
    Well I am not 100% sure about the drag and drop thing into traktor. But the iTunes playlists show up in traktor. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think you can drag tracks from iTunes right into a Traktor deck...

Tech Mentor

Hmm, maybe I read the wrong part of the manual on the playlist importing, I will give it another read. Will itunes playlists automaticly show up in traktor if placed in the correct folder?

Hmm, maybe I read the wrong part of the manual on the playlist importing, I will give it another read. Will itunes playlists automaticly show up in traktor if placed in the correct folder?
    itunes playlists will automatically show up in traktor... there is something you may need to change in traktor preferences to tell traktor where the playlists are located. Its just something you need to set up, then it will always be there.

Tech Mentor

That is good news on the itunes playlists. Is it possible to set a keyboard or controller button to move to different playlists?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast