|Build Log| - DIY midi gamepad controller - Page 9
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I also had to put 4 small buttons on the backside of my controller for changing from digital to analog

4??

:|

why not just 1 with 4 connections?

Default layout

hello,

here is the layout

i've 2 problems to solve,

1º- find a way to use the rotary enconder, or something similar, probably a two way selector, up and down

2º- find a way to bypass the analog switch or conceal it because i don't have space for it...

1) - rotary encoder isn't supported by the gamepad pcb. Cheapest option would be to use Teensyduino, but you'd need to do some programming. Next choice would probably be a HID device like the inexpensive Leo Bodnar BU0836 Controller (might be annoying to have two HID devices though?). Easiest option would be to buy a Highly Liquid Midi CPU for $44.95 (supports up to 12 encoders with a minimum of fuss).

2) - install it on the side panel somewhere perhaps?

here are my thoughts,

i don't know iff this possible, but is there any type of rotary mechanical enconder (probably this is not the correct name)?

i have two connections avaiable, for instance one A one B, iff i have a mechanical rotary that clockwise will give A-A-A-A-A and anti-clockwise will give B-B-B-B-B, i'm happy

it doesn't need to be a rotary, it can be something like this

but definitely a rotary would be more user friendly

about the button for the analog... a side button would probably be the only option... but i will definitely search for another...

why not just use two buttons instead?

what's the intended purpose of the control? might be easier to come up with an alternative if I know what you're gonna use the control for

I had some trouble connecting wires from all gamepads together resulting in an error in windows... so I decieded to put 4 buttons at the backside. They are flushed in, so theres no problem with carrying or pressing them accidently

iff you see my layout, in the top right i have two places avaiable, and i have also two connections avaiable on the gamepad, the idea is to have a button to go up and down a menu and another button to select...

the way i thought about it, one cold be a rotary (or a 3 way switch that i could go up and down, but a rotary would be much faster and user friendly) using the two connections avaiable, the select button would be a switch pressing the two connections at the same time, that the software would translate as a specific command,

does this make sense?
    Last edited by fbonito; 03-07-2011 at 08:55 AM.

i think i've found a solution

http://pt.mouser.com/ProductDetail/A...bgejRE9w%3d%3d

"It's a pulse switch which only contacts in the direction of rotation.
    so now there is a solution to the 'Encoder' Problem. You can send either two repeated Keystrokes or repeat two seperate Joystick button Inputs.
    you get Repeated Joystick Button Presses based on the direction you turn the switch. Opens up all kinds of possibilities doesn't it."

found here

looks like these guys have the same problems has we have...

lol I love these cockpit / flightsim guys... they take DIY controllers to a whole new level!

its funny how many components and processes the DIY controller scene share in common with them... that webpage is full of Leo Bodnar, encoders, buttons, etc...

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast