Soundcloud just froze my mixtape? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

"I admit, I had a cracked version of traktor pro for a couple of months".
    Thank you citizen insane you make my assumptions correct

the law happening here is DCMA, wiki it if you need. Soundcloud/podomatic says don't upload anything you don't own the copyright or get permission from the copyright holder. DCMA says that Soundcloud can't get in trouble if you do, and needs proof that the complainer is the copyright holder and then just pulls the mix off the server, and they are in the clear. But you aren't.
    (@Citzen_Insane sorry kid, Soundcloud knows the law, do you?)

Here are two real solutions to the issue of getting your stuff pulled.
    1) get permission. I emailed/called a few friends with tracks and asked them for a podcast license, guess what, they all said yes. case closed.
    (... but now I can't put rihanna in my web-distributed mixshow? boo friggin hoo )
    2) 365Live has a monthly fee for doing a radio show where everyone under BMI, SESAC and ASCAP gets paid.

this is just crazy...

so all those Christopher Lawrence, R.A.W., Paolo mixtapes i have from the 90s are illegal?

no wonder too short sold his mix tapes out of the trunk of his car...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    this is just crazy...

so all those Christopher Lawrence, R.A.W., Paolo mixtapes i have from the 90s are illegal?

no wonder too short sold his mix tapes out of the trunk of his car...
    espically the RAW tapes.

LOL dood, I have like every single one of RAWs old tapes, including the VS tapes. MY fav is APX1 vs RAW....
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    "I admit, I had a cracked version of traktor pro for a couple of months".
    Thank you citizen insane you make my assumptions correct
    Quote is taken somewhat out of context, but yes. I had one for a couple of months, and by couple I mean 2. I had full intent to buy the software, and have bought the software (I can post pics of the box if you want), it was simply until I had the money to buy it because Native Instruments pulled the plug on support for the software I was using before.

What assumptions of yours did I make correct? Did I just brand myself as some kind of internet pirate? Arrr me mateys!

Now, for the luls:

Oh and @djerikt, I'm not a kid, and Soundcloud knows the law better than I do, in part because they likely have a hired legal team with more years of combined experience than you or I have spent on this earth. But yeah, it's DCMA stuff, and who cares about that? Big labels for the most part. Hence, I am not terribly worried because most of the artists in the underground understand the idea that mixes spread their work in a positive manner.
    Last edited by Citizen_Insane; 12-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

The assumption that if you need it, do not have any problem on getting a cracked software. At least you are honest and no double sided. Cheers.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    The assumption that if you need it, do not have any problem on getting a cracked software. At least you are honest and no double sided. Cheers.
    Well I didn't have too much of a moral issue because I had full intention of purchasing as soon as I was able to, nor did I make any money during that time through the use of the software. In addition to this, the company that makes the software had rendered my other software useless by removing support for it. Glad to help with this whole being honest thing, in general it's the best policy.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

I try to at least make sure the contributors to our group put tracklists and possibly links to the artists/labels in with their mixes also. most of the artists i play personally i have been in contact with to some degree and most are stoked to have their tracks in a "good" mix. Common courtesy goes a long way in this i think lads. That being said if SC removed one of my mixes after i just gave them 80 euros this week i'd be rather pissed haha. Merry xmas all
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

sorry for the kid reference. DMCA is not that complex, wiki it. It says, the website owners can't get in trouble for what you post if the proven copyright holder asks for it to be taken down.
    This doesn't protect the majors like UMG or Sony, it protects website hosts. Labels probably hate DMCA since it makes hunting down their stuff really difficult and then no one really gets in trouble if the mix is taken down when asked. The majors are forced to protect their copyright one request at a time.
    And true, most of the artists that are underground will grant you a podcast license if you ask for one. I have yet to be denied when I ask.
    Soundcloud will remove your mix if the requirements are met, 80e or not. You agree to those terms when you use their site. Your 80e probably went to pay the legal team (it didn't go to the artist). If you're not using content from the big4 (Sony, Universal, Warner, EMI) you & Soundcloud are probably in the clear.
    Soundcloud's terms and services leave YOU holding the bag if anyone can prove the content is theirs and not yours. Soundcloud are 'not liable for content', Soundcloud is just a hosting site. To learn more, spend about 10 mins and read the linked pages below.
    http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use
    http://soundcloud.com/pages/dmca_policy

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    espically the RAW tapes.

LOL dood, I have like every single one of RAWs old tapes, including the VS tapes. MY fav is APX1 vs RAW....
    nice...i passed mine out to friends...i have ONE hiding in a box somewhere...i'll find it when i'm old...paolo was a fantastic DJ...i have "world of light" and "ten" and a few other odd ball house tapes...i think an H-foundation tape or two...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast