Something must be done... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

it is worse here in Dallas, at a large night club, i got TWO requests for Rebecca Black - Friday , during a set of electro music. both idiots couldn't figure out why I couldn't play it.
    /hatingondallas

Tech Mentor

i wouldnt get out of bed for $100 dollars, any one in england in a bar gets that and up over per hour and i thought in america dj's got paid more + lets be fair wedding and partys he wont be a dj, just a man playing a cd and flicking the crossfader over, anyone agree
    Music is Life. Life is Evissa.

http://www.mix.dj/viral-player/0/steeshuk.html

Tech Mentor

i must admit though because theres that little work around because dj'in has become so popular, when i first started out, i worked in a bar for free, doing there happy hour from 5 till half 7, so i could get used with the speaker set up and sound and all that + it got my foot in the door for a later residency
    Music is Life. Life is Evissa.

http://www.mix.dj/viral-player/0/steeshuk.html

Tech Mentor

Some people have mentioned supply and demand and the OP's concern seems to be how some people are "cheapening" the profession of DJing.

I personally don't play for money, in my country there is a lot of red-tape once someone pays you, accident compensation insurance, tax, occupational health and safety, local bylaws etc. If you do it under the table you can avoid those things and many people do.
    Its also a hobby for me and I think it is good to play for free to get exposure.

However I think the root of the problem is that there is no base standard. A profession can more easily define pricing guidelines once there are barriers to entry like certification, proof of skill, membership in a registered body etc. Hopefully this will never happen because DJing is a creative profession but without something to compare each other to easily this sort of pricing behaviour will happen.

I don't think it is bad for DJ's overall btw.

Quote Originally Posted by itajeN View Post
    Till you get the McShits. Rofl

That's McNasty
    ------=== ===------

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I like McNuggets.

Jus' sayin.
    ditto...

i always get a six pack to supplement my meal

Tech Mentor

My mate was real drunk once and he walked into macdonalds real late like 3am in the morning. He got bad service and decided to lash back at them by ordering 100 mcnuggets. However he self owned himself in the process as it cost him $50.

I think quality has increased, because so many people can use sync, artists and djs have had to find new and innovative ways, like Ean Golden, to separate themselves from the pack.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

just mind your own business... the worst you can do its to start poisoning your life about what others are doing when you could spend all this time getting da real skills over the noobs
    2011 MacBookPro 13" i7
    Traktor Kontrol S4
    Fostex PM0.4 / Sony MDR-7506 / Oxygen 25 v3 / Fast Track Pro / Hs80m /
    I HaZ a BaD EnGliSH

Quote Originally Posted by djerikt View Post
    it is worse here in Dallas, at a large night club, i got TWO requests for Rebecca Black - Friday , during a set of electro music. both idiots couldn't figure out why I couldn't play it.
    /hatingondallas
    ...sounds like you need to get an electro mix of Rebecca Black you can live with....just sayin.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast