Suggestions for further improving the firmware - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

My requests:

1) 14bit jog resolution
    2) Kill Notes for ALL knobs (2 notes for every filter knob, left and right) and for the x-fader
    3) 2 other signals for x-fader (like 2 knobs): one for the left side (0-127) and one for the right side (0-127)
    Last edited by fcarsana; 01-22-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Anyway as another feature request i would like the vinyl button not to do an internal "modifier" on the jog wheels - this is very do able inside of traktor and would allow us to map that function somewhere else.
    Well, I think this is a two-sided sword: on one hand, of course you could very well do that in Traktor. But: you'll have to use another modifier and more instructions to achieve that. Given the fact that TPro has a limited number of modifiers with only 3Bit resolution and only allows for 2 conditions in one command, you may be forced to reuse a modifier for more than one state and you'll end with even more commands.

I have done this just for a few buttons and it really blows up my config. If I imagine I would have to do this for the FX Section, it would result in plain madness. Especially LED Control and the necessary saving of LED State over 3 banks would be nearly impossible to do! (Beware that there is also a bug in Tpro which seems to ignore modifiers completely with LED Output)

So I would suggest to a) keep the internal switch with Vinyl Mode and especially the FX Banks or b) release different FW Versions, one with and one without these wirings. Believe me, if you are doing complex mappings with lots of functionality (I'll show mine soon ) you are so glad you don't have to burn another modifier for these things.

What would be very important nevertheless is to decouple the 4th FX Button from the FX ON Button under the Balance knobs. (as already done in 1.3, I think). I would also suggest to have "Touch On / Off" Notes also in Seek Mode and to have different Midi Notes for the "Pitch Bend" Jog Events in both Vinyl and Seek Mode (as of FW 1.2, always the same notes are sent)

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

IMO

Rule number one of the midi hardware designers bible.

- Hardware must be stupid as fuck at all times,

All processing/translating should be done by the drivers or another piece of software like BOME's.

Writing your firmware like this is fine if you are designing it for yourself and have a very clear idea of how you will use it, but if you are designing a commercial product its a bad idea, coz it will frustrate Bento, MF cough cough

Tech Wizard

Of course, you're right .... but as I said: try all this in Traktor alone .... And I really don't want to have another piece of software running between translating Midi Commands. Would be best if one could actually program / setup the VCI 100 "wirings" and the modes, so all would be happy then

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    IMO

All processing/translating should be done by the drivers or another piece of software like BOME's.

Writing your firmware like this is fine if you are designing it for yourself and have a very clear idea of how you will use it, but if you are designing a commercial product its a bad idea, coz it will frustrate Bento, MF cough cough
    Amen

My wishes are
    Fixing the leds,
    14bit midi,
    If possible double notes on crossfader (for fader efx)
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox

I would recommend removing multiple midi notes for the controls in the firmware. It limits the VCI when custom mapping to other applications including Traktor. If multiple notes are required, I'd recommend a software solution (like Bome's) that runs inbetween the VCI and the DJ app in which the user can assign his/her midi sends...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by thebeatworx View Post
    I would recommend removing multiple midi notes for the controls in the firmware. It limits the VCI when custom mapping to other applications including Traktor. If multiple notes are required, I'd recommend a software solution (like Bome's) that runs inbetween the VCI and the DJ app in which the user can assign his/her midi sends...
    Why?
    I think it's not real...
    Could you please explain it with an example?

thanks for the suggestions guys- I appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by fcarsana View Post
    Why?
    I think it's not real...
    Could you please explain it with an example?
    Imagine that I want to use the effects pots for volume controls (the four knobs on the right hand side of the VCI) and nothing else... I believe that the left most knob sends an extra midi note when turned all the way to the right... (In Traktor 3.3 it turned wet / dry to 100% AND turned the effect on because it send multiple midi notes.) Correct me Bento or Ean if I am incorrect. (I don't have my VCI in front of me.) Suppose that I don't want it to have that effect? Suppose I want the to use the extra midi note for something else but it has already been assigned to a knob thru the firmware? This is why Ean suggested that we stick to firmware 1.2 when trying to do custom maps with the VCI right?

With the advent of Traktor Pro and modifiers, I believe alot of Fader Fx mode can be emulated. Regardless, my point is that modifiers are a user assignable SOFTWARE feature, not something that is hard coded in the firmware.
    Last edited by thebeatworx; 02-02-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast