Territory Restrictions in the new Beatport - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

This has never been tested if I'm not mistaken?
    Have beatport ever made any comments regarding this matter?

At the police station:
    - So, what do you have to say for yourself mr. Autonic?
    - Uhm, well, there was this guy on djtechtools discussion forum who said...

Tech Convert

I really don't think they would care. They are still getting paid, And even more so, more money from places they should not.

Tech Guru

This has never been tested if I'm not mistaken?
    LOL! Those screenshots are from me actually DOING the procedure. I've been using proxies to buy restricted tracks off Beatport for literally years. Yes, it's been tested.

LOL @ all of you who are pissing on this solution...

I think the 'police' and the RIAA, etc, have bigger fish to fry with people who are stealing music, let alone the ones who are still paying for it.

Let it go people!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    LOL! Those screenshots are from me actually DOING the procedure. I've been using proxies to buy restricted tracks off Beatport for literally years. Yes, it's been tested.
    I did not mean the technical part of just aquiring the tracks... I meant the legal issues of it..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    LOL @ all of you who are pissing on this solution...

I think the 'police' and the RIAA, etc, have bigger fish to fry with people who are stealing music, let alone the ones who are still paying for it.

Let it go people!
    Of course they do... and I do not in any way intend to piss on the helpful fella that started this thread, I mearly meant to discuss the legal concerns (if any) of the whole procedure...

Tech Guru

I did not mean the technical part of just aquiring the tracks...
    Ohh, my bad.

As for the legality of it, I really don't know how it could be enforced. They would have to prove you were using a proxy and not just visiting another country. Or maybe had someone in another country buy it with your account. I used to order vinyl from European shops all the time when I was DJing full time. So really, they have no way of enforcing this policy at all.

Really, the only reason a shop like Beatport puts up with things like territory restrictions is because they do not want to piss off the labels they sell. They have to at least TRY to enforce the restrictions, but they can't jeopardize their pay model either. If they were serious about enforcing these restrictions, they would be doing a better job of enforcing them (multiple checks against the user IP, cross reference with user data - including payment method, etc). But then, they would be driving users to just Google said music and download it for free from a blog or file sharing resource. And that's lose-lose for everyone.

Sweet nem0nic
    Thanx, Great work!
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Yep, great info nem0nic, but honestly, if the artist or label (or both) act like they don't want or need the money... that's fine with me as well. I don't see why I should spend an hour on workarounds just because they have their heads up their behinds...

Tech Guru

that's fine with me as well. I don't see why I should spend an hour on workarounds just because they have their heads up their behinds
    And I totally get that argument. but every guide I write makes the process easier and faster. It's my hope that I can make the process mostly painless enough that someone will decide that it's worth going through in order to support the music they love.

And to be clear, I've NEVER met an artist that thinks territory restrictions are anything but a pain in the ass. It's the LABELS that usually drive the process - NOT the artist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast