Cheap DJ Laptop Recommendations??? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What i meant was hes brave to buy a laptop from what is basically a Grocers.
    Id be too scared that i couldnt get support from the actual shop (even though he will get full tech support from HP).

Like i can walk into my local Apple reseller and say have a quick look at this and they will (my girlfriend worked there). I like that face to face thing.

Its just me, Im really picky where i buy stuff from cus im paranoid and i get too angry with phone support.

If your taking back some moldy bread then im sure that Tescos is great but im guessing that the till-jockey cant really help 'disabling system resources'.
    You don't go to Tesco for tech support, you go if your machine is faulty and you better believe they'll swap it out then and there. They have the same policy for everything from bread to laptops, and such huge amounts of stock it's a question of swap out now, ask questions never.

They are evil and taking over the world of course, but don't question their commitment to customer service.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah thats a fair comment. I see what your saying. They are just box shifters whether its Corn Flakes or Laptops. I dont doubt that.
    My point though is that i like to be able to walk into my local Apple shop and say "have look at this" before i send it off to be fixed.
    The girl behind the Meat Stall isnt likely to say "hold on before we send that off lets just run a DPC Latency checker on it"..! Your just gonna get another box.

Whilst banks are shutting down in the high streets Tescos is opening as many new Banks in stores!!! Thats scary..!

Tesco's laptops FTW!!! .... just kidding guys

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    My point though is that i like to be able to walk into my local Apple shop and say "have look at this" before i send it off to be fixed.
    The girl behind the Meat Stall isnt likely to say "hold on before we send that off lets just run a DPC Latency checker on it"..! Your just gonna get another box.
    Yeah, I see your point, but when have you ever actually had to do that? All my computer kit and software (Mac and Windows) has worked straight out of the box, and if not then it's either been faulty (swap out) or buggy and fixed at a later date (a la NI), none of which would have been helped by the Apple store or equivalent.

Seriously, supermarket laptops ftw.

(That said I won't be buying one from a supermarket when I upgrade, but that's because I want a 15" WUXGA screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Yeah, I see your point, but when have you ever actually had to do that?
    Loads.
    Once when i poured beer in my iBook and i took it in and they opened it and rescued the harddrive and cleaned it up and once when my MBP logic board needed replacing, they sent it off to be fixed and loaned me a laptop.

I get really good hands on service/support at my local reseller.
    I turned up on the doorstep with a new hard drive and some ram and said "hey stick these in" . They did the same day and i picked it up the next.

But i realise this isnt the normal thing. Im very lucky, my girlfriend used to work there so its a kinda mates thing.

laptop jack graveyard. pleaste note. all the ones on the right are toshiba/acer(acer oems for toshiba lenovo, gateway, etc). and every one is massively damaged AND the same type of jack. to the left are dell/hp jacks that just failed.

---

Also: I forgot to discuss Vaio laptops! hah, i knew I was forgetting someone.

I'll write something up later this weekend.

in fact i'll probably collect all this info and get it up into an article/big forum post by itself.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Did you wreck all those ?
    What are you doing with your laptops for godsake . I shudder to think

"RSDJMoniker Laptop DESTROYER"

You get me wrong. I'm the SAVIOR.

I've never broken a laptop in my life. I maintain and clean my boxes and still have my first IBM laptop from nearly 20 years ago. and it still powers on and works like a charm!
    ---

People bring me THEIR ruined laptops and I repair them for a living. All kinds of whacky problems come my way, from the IBM blink of death, to hacking an IBM bios, to repairing an ultra rare LCD cable, to removing and reprogramming chipsets, etc. I'm definitely the goto gal in Portland for whacky laptop shit.

But jacks are one of the things that keeps me in business. and the ONLY jacks that shatter like that? Acers. (Whom I just found out is OEMing for lenovo now too [i found out the hard way by noticing an acer jack on a lenovo I was repairing today])
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Lol yeah i got that totally flipped.

Your one those people with like, a million laptops and computers all in various states of repair... I bet you have dreams that one day they will all magically combine and become a Super Computer and you will take over the earth ........ or was that my dream and was naked and ended up going to my own funeral. Think i need a lay down

Actually, only in the workshop do I have parts. and they're exactly that. Parts. Any computer I have, (I have like 6 laptops, and only 1 desktop) works like a charm.

I'm VERY good with mobile devices. I don't know why, but they just talk to me and I can fix them and make them do whacky stuff!
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast