Traktor vs VirtualDJ - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The worklow of traktor was messing with my chi so I only used it for about 6 months, so not as extensively but I gave it a shot. My issue is that I could no longer map anything off the top of my head anymore, and when I tried to recreate my old mappings traktor didn't have the verbage or the modifiers to do most of it.

Then moving on to effects I don't really like the sound of the resonant filter, the lfo filter sounded better though but no where near as good as the free vst "qb_filter", but as I have said previously I found that having to see the effects was limiting whereas in VDJ I can just map something and it will work. And there were no effects in traktor that couldn't be done in VDJ accept maybe the transpose.

I hated the browser in traktor, I am used to VDJ's way of creating an external xml browser that is quick to navigate, I can make custom filter folders that are like smart crates to locate music from different folders easily. One thing I didn't like is that the information from the browser had to be transferred individually if you wanted it in the id3tags, but a tool has been made by a community member "phantomdj" to do it to the whole library or parts of it in a couple of clicks.

I love the beatgridding in traktor, especially the metronome it makes everything match up perfectly, I had to make a few click tracks at different bpm's that I play on the adjacent deck when gridding, also the the grid markers are pretty terrible in VDJ, traktor owns in that respect if you sync. I didn't get a good look at the grid in any of the VDJ8 video's, but djdecks grid was great "very similar to traktor" so hopefully if it's not used on the default skin we can skin it to our own.

When the takeover of djdecks happened and I used that and started researching what you can do with it it was all over, Adion has made an incredible software and I was looking forward to all of his amazing features merging with VDJ, that was the time I had a serious look at skinning and really wanted a way to use javascript on the skin which djdecks coding was based on, so that means you should be able to create your own functions.

Colour waveforms never bothered me as I do all I can to avoid looking at them as I don't really listen properly when I can see the sound, and it usually takes a moment to refocus from sight to hearing, and I find the pretty colors moving on the screen sucks me in when using traktor. But I do prefer it's minimalist workflow "GUI" over VDJ's not very well thought out one, but I can just make my own to suit the information that I want, just waiting on 7.1 or 8 to start skinning again, as there is no beta so I don't know what will be included and will find out when everyone else does.

The main reason though is that I started on VDJ and got used to it, I has some issues for a couple of hours setting up my timecodes, but played with the settings, read a couple of posts and they were working perfectly. I never used anything internal until version 7 was released as I was using a djm600, kp2 and an efx1000 so was never turned away by the eq, but once I started playing with vst's and found "minimal systems instruments - ultimate 3 band" I stopped using the djm as the vst sounded better and started using a controller as the mixer so started really playing with scripting. I figured out how to map from only learning "query ? action if true : action if false" and just pushed it as far as it can go.

Oh and I used to cop heaps of shit from my mates because I used "noob" software, but they shut up when it sounded better and I could do more with it then they could dream of, but it did take some time to learn although I didn't have anyone to bounce ideas off because the VDJ Forum is pretty boring as it's populated with mostly older mobile dj's... DJTT is much more fun and I enjoy the "workflow" far more here.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    This was kind of the point of my "cool story bro" post. Paragraph after paragraph of him trying to convince others, or perhaps himself, that VDJ is teh best! and Traktor is for those that don't know better. Even worse, when others give very valid reasons why they prefer Traktor, they are called a noob. When his justification for calling others a noob is unsubstantiated, he admits ignorance and then continues to refer to these people as noobs.

Not exactly what I would call constructive conversation...
    that was providing specific examples of how easy VDJ is to script, the noob comment was in regards to saying "workflow" because I was

a)drunk and
    b)cringe whenever I hear or read it

My ignorance was in regard to not knowing anything about interface design, I still don't understand where workflow comes from, it just sounds douchey to me, but I know a hell of a lot about djing and can back up any claim I make with evidence, generally the guys who say "workflow" heard that traktor is better from a video and have not attempted to use anything else. The reason I sprook VDJ here is that I like it and no one else does, that means there is no one to bounce things off and no one to help with advanced things, if people more people understand it then, more people will like it which ultimately means more fun for me...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    The worklow of traktor was messing with my chi
    Ok, now you are just trollin'
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Even tho there are counless threads on the subject, this thread will remain open as long as you peeps keep the discussion civilized.

I can play nice

honda vs toyota...
    mac vs pc...

Tech Guru

This isn't even what OP or any new DJ cares about. I feel pretty safe saying he/she isn't going to look this deep into the thread so I'll just say it--if you're dense enough to ask the question you don't give a shit about booleans or variable scripting.

I also feel that Traktor's price point makes it a much better entry than VDJ Pro. I mean, I bought an A2DJ for $90 and got TPro2.

Tech Mentor

Your comparing apples to oranges...

Just go grab the trial of both VDJ and Traktor and play around with both for an hour... trust me youll either love or hate one another

It's a fair point toontown, but this is djtechtools not digitaldjtips, I think this forum is an intermediate to advanced level of djing... digitaldjtips is for beginners who only want to know what they should buy... So mapping definitely has a home here and it is the foundation of what this site provides.

Traktor's price I think is a bad move as they are charging for the hardware not the software that makes it all work, but VDJ Pro with an upgrade from a Mixtrack Pro, Herc Rmx is only $150. most other LE controllers are $100... It stands to reason that NI will keep things locked out so they can make up the difference from their new pricing structure. I can't see Atomix ever locking anything out as they have no commercial interest in doing so, they support every controller and every sound and video format.

Honestly it is just a happy accident that their software is the way it is because atomix never put as much thought into making the features easily accessible like NI have until now, but they have been there for the over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondavid View Post
    Your comparing apples to oranges...

Just go grab the trial of both VDJ and Traktor and play around with both for an hour... trust me youll either love or hate one another
    The trial is crap, you need Pro to unlock all the good stuff

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast