A month ahead of NAMM 2017, Pioneer DJ is announcing a brand new version of their top-of-the-line Serato DJ controller, the DDJ-SZ2. This incremental upgrade adds new dedicated controls for Serato DJ expansion packs, new oscillator sounds, and improved jog wheel latency. Keep reading to learn more and watch it in action.
DDJ-SZ2 In Action
The DDJ-SZ2 will be available in January 2017 for an expected street price of $1,999 (the same as the previous model). The controller will include Serato DJ expansion packs Serato Flip and Pitch ‘n Time. The first 3,000 units to ship will also include the Serato Video expansion.
Minor Changes: DDJ-SZ2 vs DDJ-SZ
This upgrade feels very minor – Pioneer clearly isn’t expecting any current DDJ-SZ owners to upgrade. When the DDJ-SZ first came out at NAMM 2014, we lovingly referred to it as the Cadillac of controllers because of the expansive feature set and the physical size. As a result, the upgrade is fairly sparse.
The SZ2 focuses on adding controls that are specifically designed for Serato expansion packs:
- The grid adjusting buttons have been swapped out for Key adjust/sync buttons (for Pitch ‘n Time DJ)
- Two new buttons have been added for Serato Flip control (record and play) above the loop section on each deck
- The performance pads have a new shift layer for turning on Pitch Play mode (as first introduced on the
Roland DJ-808Denon MCX8000)
Additionally Pioneer DJ has made a few other small changes:
- “Improved jog wheel latency” – although no specs or details are provided, it’s mentioned in the press release
- “Cymbal” and “Horn” oscillator sounds are replaced with “Drop” and “Siren”
- Each deck has a quantize button below the jogwheel – allowing DJs to quickly turn on and off the setting (as on CDJs)
What Else Will Pioneer Have At NAMM?
Considering this week is a run-up to the winter holidays, we don’t expect much more news from Pioneer DJ this week. But there’s a good chance that they’ll be showing a number of other new products at the NAMM show in mid-January. What do you think the company will introduce? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Want to know when this controller is available to order and when it’s officially shipping? Sign up for an email notification here