Pioneer DJ was pretty quiet at NAMM this year, lacking a single product release aside from their own analog synth. A month and a half later, they’re launching an update to one of their cheapest two channel mixers – the DJM-250MK2. With a built-in DVS soundcard and a Rekordbox DJ and DVS license, Pioneer DJ is making a play for a budget-conscious starter DVS solution. Keep reading to learn more about the feature set on the DJM-250MK2
Pioneer DJ DJM-250MK2
- Product: DJM-250MK2
- Manufacturer: Pioneer DJ
- Price: $349
- Availability: March 23rd 2017 (pre-order yours from the DJTT Store)
The DJM-250MK2 is the cheapest DJ mixer that Pioneer DJ offers – but with this new upgrade to a MK2 version, they’ve added a ton of value that the old DJM-250 never had:
- Built In DVS Soundcard: Adding a soundcard to an introductory level DJ mixer is huge – and Pioneer DJ is clearly using this as a play to get new DJs using their Rekrodbox DJ software (which is also included, along with a DVS expansion pack). The soundcard supports input and output – so yes, you can send control signal to your DJ software, but you can also record your final mix as a record out as well.
- Isolator EQ Section: Instead of just normal EQs, the three-band mixing section is now full-kill isolators. This is a switchable option on the higher-end DJM models, so to see isolation EQ on this cheaper mixer is awesome.
- Filter Color FX with Parameter Knob: One of the best things about the newer DJM mixers is the ability to control the intensity of the Sound Color FX. While the DJM-250MK2 only has one such effect (Filter), being able to adjust the parameter knob to make it less intense is a solid mixing tool. Many DJs don’t like Pioneer’s traditional filters because they’re “too bright/sharp” – so this eliminates that entirely.
- Magvel Crossfader: Pioneer’s new standard turntablism crossfader is on this mixer – rated for >10 million movements. It’s the same fader as on the DJM-900NXS2 and the DJM-S9 mixers.
The new model has a complete physical overhaul, with design that matches the rest of the DJM family. Here’s a good comparison image – the new DJM-250MK2 is on the left, while the older MK1 model is on the right:
DJM-250MK2 Feature List
Here’s the complete feature list of the new DJM-250MK2 from the official press release:
- Magvel crossfader, smooth channel faders and 3-band isolators Mixing and scratching on the DJM-250MK2 feels instinctive and effortless. The Magvel crossfader – taken from the flagship DJM-900NXS2 mixer – is accurate, smooth, and durable for more than 10 million movements. Precise, fluid mixes are a breeze using the mixer’s channel faders, and the 3-band isolators give precision across the highs, mids, and lows. You can use them to totally eliminate each frequency range when you turn the knob all the way to the left.
- Flagship filter with nuanced control: Get creative in the mix using the filter inherited from the Sound Color FX on the flagship DJM-900NXS2 mixer. Simply turn the knob on each channel to apply the filter, then create unique textures by twisting the parameter knob to adjust resonance and add tension to your performance.
- Built-in sound card and easy recording: Connect the DJM-250MK2 to your PC/Mac using a single USB cable. The USB connection supports sound input and output, so you can record your mixes to your computer’s hard drive.
- Bundled licenses for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvs: The DJM-250MK2 comes with free license keys for our professional dj performance applications, rekordbox dj (requires rekordbox version 4.3.0 or higher, available from 1st of March 2017) and rekordbox dvs, worth $228.00 combined. Use them together to play digital tracks from your PC/Mac using either multi players or turntables and control vinyl (available separately).
- High-quality sound: Hear the true, high-quality sound of your tracks whether you’re playing from digital or analog sound sources thanks to the mixer’s dithering technology.
- Other features
- XLR terminal – high-quality audio output
- Two headphone outputs – ¼-inch stereo jack and 3.5-mm mini jack
- Signal GND terminal – easily attach and securely hold ground wires from analog turntables
- Independent Mic section – use a microphone and the Aux input at the same time