Moddifers (Shift Keys)
    Tech Guru

Default Moddifers (Shift Keys)

Are these global?? Will me pushing a "shift" key on my main controller allow me to get a different response from say a LPD8 Button/Knob. I have read both yes and no in the forums. There was a .tsi post stating that pushing shift on the vci + (this button) would do this instead of that. I know that's vague but you get the idea. is the VCI shift button special or is it just another modifier any definite answer would be great thanks a lot.

Tech Guru

Ya the shift button is just a modifier. And someone told me that the modifiers are not global. So midi messages sent on the VCI are totally independent too another controller. But if you add the same function to both controllers midi messages sent say on the VCI will also be sent to say an lpd8.

Thats what I assume, but I am no midi guru.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

you can use a program like bomes pro to make global modifers
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Mentor

I have done this before and I do believe modifiers ARE global IF in the mapping manager you select "all ports" for midi in and out.

Tech Guru

Thank you faeruithir that makes a lot of sense now

Tech Guru

Just a thought I have yet to implement a "GLOBAL" Shift Key. But if you set the ports for the controller to be midi in midi out on the controller if both of the controller's use the same Note or CC wont it interfere with each other sorry if it doesn't make any sense I'm still learning all the different commands and terms in mapping the controllers.

if i'm reading you right, yes they will interfere if they are on the same channel with the same midi notes.

you'd have to map them with different notes or on a different channel

You might be able to get around this by making a tiny mapping file for just your shift button and importing that separately, and setting the ports to 'ALL'.

This way, you only need to worry about the note associated with that button.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

Tech Mentor

Or change the channel the auxillary controller runs on!
    All the Korg Nanos have this option in their config software and I'd guess the Akai's do too.