Club sound system design - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

That JBL is crap, does not sound that good and you have to replace drivers every six months. Definetely i will go the nexo route. 4 ps 15 or 6 ps 10 with 4 ls 500 subs with a couple or nx1 amp from yamaha-nexo or either 2 vortex 6 for the speakers and a vortex 4 for the subs. That is a professional equipment and never have to replace drivers and are fully transparent, not coloring the sound. I will ad a couple of clark eq´s and now we are talking, even electro voice sounds quite a lot better than jbl-crown set up

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    +1

Great speakers can sound like crap in an un-tuned space.
    +1, but they'll still sound better than anything else in an un-tuned space.

I havent heard anything else that comes close to a funktion one rig in a club. F***ing EPIC BASS!
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

do they sell funktion one in the usa?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisEPIC View Post
    do they sell funktion one in the usa?
    Yes, but they are not as easy to come by as other manufacturers. I was at a DJ show in Toronto and there was a distributor selling them, I can't remember their name though. I would assume that we can get them, anyone in the US can.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

Tech Mentor

EAW Avalon or nothing imo...

They will fly a rep in to professionally design and set-up a system for you.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Crown does make a nice amp from what I've read, but I would really suggest consulting a pro on what to buy, and if you can afford it, an acoustic engineer. I know from experience that placement is just as important as the gear you get.
    True that. Here in the Netherlands it's quite common to see a Funktion One system in clubs. That doesn't always say that the sound is good in those clubs. Shitty positioning and insufficient tuning results in way too high volumes to create the desired dynamics.

I highly encourage you to consult a professional. In the end you want people to have a great night out; not send them home with permanent ear damage.

And last: don't bash the JBL + Crown combo. The CocoonClub in Frankfurt uses this combo and has one of the best soundsystems in the world! I've been there and the sound was indeed truly amazing. Funny thing is, I forgot to bring my ear protection (-25dB flat response filters) to that party, which I normally really need because I have bad tinnitus and hyperacusis. At the end of the night my tinnitus didn't get worse (allthough you would expect something like that from a 1 million dollar soundsystem designed by Steve Dash).

So the moral of this story is that proper placing and tuning of your soundsystem might be even more important than the speaker/amplifier combo you're getting...
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 01-13-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

As long as people think clearly about what they want to produce soundscape wise, you should be golden.

In the Netherlands I heared great things about the guys from Soundfreax.nl. They tend to go big with VOID.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12