DJS-1000: Pioneer DJ Introduces Their DJ-Friendly Standalone Sampler
- Product: DJS-1000
- Manufacturer: Pioneer DJ
- Availability: Late October (get yours from the DJTT shop)
- Price: $1,199
DJS-1000: Pioneer’s Standalone Champion?
Over the last few days we’ve seen a _lot_ of hints and speculation about what this new DJS-1000 would look like. Our initial analysis of the photos from Dirtybird Campout seem to be nearly perfect. Pioneer DJ is really targeting DJs who are already using a full CDJ setup and getting them to add a new creative element to their mixes: sampling and sequencing.
Here’s the features in these new units (we slimmed down Pioneer DJ’s press release to make it more readable):
- Step sequencer: create a new groove by tapping the 16 large, multicolored step input keys. See sequence information on each track with the keys’ changing colors.
- Multicolored Performance Pads: 16 large rubber pads to trigger the tracks you’ve assigned samples and loops to. Each one has multicolored illumination and highly accurate velocity detection
- Touch strip: Quickly change the pitch when using the pitch bend feature, or play a drum roll by using the note repeat feature. There are two user modes – customize parameters to your linking.
- 7-inch full-color touch screen
- Syncing with various external devices: Clock synchronization with MIDI devices as well as Beat Sync. This can synchronize a performance by beat/bar with a track playing on a CDJ-2000NXS2 or XDJ-1000MK2 set-up using PRO DJ LINK. Use the tempo slider and the nudge buttons to quickly adjust tempo and beat position manually
- Live Sampling: Sample input sounds and immediately use them as individual tracks. The sampled sounds are automatically synchronized with the current sequence to play in a loop, so they can be dropped straight into a live remix. You can sample any input source, including audio from a turntable, via your mixer.
- FX: You can apply FX such as echo, reverb and filter to individual tracks, a group of tracks, or all tracks.
- The DJS-1000 is designed to fit perfectly alongside the CDJ-2000NXS2 and DJM-900NXS2.
- Support for USB devices – manage your projects and samples easily
- Over 2,500 on-board Loopmasters samples – start performing with the DJS-1000 straight out the box
- Support for DJS-TSP Project Creator 2 – easily create projects and SCENE 3 files on a PC/Mac
- Support for project files created on the TORAIZ SP-16
Let’s be clear: most of the features within the DJS-1000 were already present on the TORAIZ SP-16 sampler that launched in April 2016. The big difference on the DJS is that it has a few unique modes that behave a bit differently than the TORAIZ. KiNK talks about them in the above intro video.
What About Routing?
This one is important: to properly integrate a DJS-1000 into a setup, you need a way to send signal into it from any deck. There’s only 1 pair of 1/4: inputs (and two outputs, 1/4″ and RCA). This means the most ideal setup is to have dedicated Send/Return FX on a mixer, allowing you to send any deck to the DJS-1000.