In a new collaboration with Max4Live device designers Amazing Noises, Ableton has released a ton of new free sound design tools for Live 10 called Creative Extensions. They let you create melodies, delays, add reverb, pitch shift, and more – keep reading to learn more.
Ableton Creative Extensions
The just-released Creative Extensions pack is a free download for Live 10 Suite / Standard users, and includes a number of new devices. Here’s how Ableton describes them each, straight from their press release:
- Melodic Steps – a fast and intuitive MIDI sequencer for evolving melodies with an interface designed to encourage experimentation and new discoveries through play
- Bass – a monophonic virtual analog synthesizer for bass sounds from classically deep and clean to heavily distorted, rumbling tones. Now with four individually tunable oscillators
- Poli – a virtual analog synth designed for classic polyphonic chords and phrases. Its vintage character comes from de-tunable oscillators, a powerful modulation section, built-in chorus and more.
- Pitch Hack – a single delay line with transposition control, as well as the ability to reverse audio, randomize the transposition interval and fold the delayed signal back into itself
- Gated Delay – a delay with a gate sequencer that sends the incoming signal to a delay line on activated steps. Much like a send effect that is turned on and off in a defined rhythm.
- Color Limiter – another flavor of limiting inspired by the gritty sounds achievable with hardware limiters. The Saturation and Color parameters are the key to its characterful sound.
- Re-Enveloper – a multiband envelope processor that divides the signal into three adjustable frequency bands. Attack and Release knobs control the responsiveness of the effect.
- Spectral Blur – creates sounds and textures best described as reverb-like. A user-defined frequency range of a signal is blurred to create a dense cloud of sound.