is there a way of turning midi CC from a controller into midi note messages?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Question is there a way of turning midi CC from a controller into midi note messages?

Hi

is there a way of turning midi CC from a controller into midi note messages?

I have an AKAI LPD8

I has buttons
    PAD - which is note data
    CC - controller data
    program change - program change

what i don't like about the controller is that it take 3 button presses to change between banks.

could i set up the controller so
    When i switched from 'note' to 'CC' and sent 'controller info' from the pads it was converted into NOTE data?

thus i could switch between 'first 8' 'second 8' pads using the 'PAD(note)' and 'CC' buttons

It would need a bit of software or hardware between the unit and the input in Ableton.

Is this possible to do? it sounds probable

Tech Guru

Default there are 2 ways

The first option you have is going to akai's website if you go to the part on the lpd8 they have software for the contorller that lets u edit messages. The next optio you have is to use modifiers to get the same sort of effect. If you are not sure how to use them take a look at my book.

I think you might want to give Bome's MIDItranslator a try.
    (Or just remap your mapping)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

cheers guys

Midi Translators seem like the way to go

are there many different ones?
    or is bomes the one to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    The first option you have is going to akai's website if you go to the part on the lpd8 they have software for the contorller that lets u edit messages. The next optio you have is to use modifiers to get the same sort of effect. If you are not sure how to use them take a look at my book.
    Well, the LPD8 editor doesn't let you change the kind of messages it sends out. You can only change the CC-/note-values. But intercepting the messages and sending out something else is definitely possible, I used MidiPipe to convert the Program Change messages to CC for Traktor. Sadly, MidiPipe is Mac only and I have no knowledge of the other programs, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem to achieve what the OP wants.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Guru

I second Bome's. It will do this kind of thing no problem.

Tech Guru

Bomes is deffently a good option. Not sure if you will be able to do this in the free version. I would see if you can get what you want from modifiers. however Bomes is brilliant and will let you do many crazy things pritty easily

Everyone here should be experts in 2 things:

Bomes
    Midi-ox

Once you've got the basics down in those apps, you're SORTED for midi. You can do ANYTHING you can imagine with midi using those apps.

Throw in AHK (AutoHotKeys) and you're well on your way to becoming an audio software ninja.

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator
    http://www.midiox.com/
    http://www.autohotkey.com/

All free.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Question

Ok

Here's how far I've got

I cant get Bomes to send input into Live?

--
    a quick note about LPD8 :
    the LPD8 has a really stupid feature that you cant connect to it from 2 different things. even the LPD8 editor cannot run at the same time as live or cubase.

so if you open the 'LPD8 editor' and then Live, live wont recognise it.

--

similarly if i have the bomes 'input' as 'USB Audio' (that's what the LPD8 is called) then the the LPD8 input in live is orange. ie not working.

or if i open live first bomes says the port is not there.

its ok its just a thing the lpd8 does.

--

I have tried all the other bomes 'midi outputs' but nothing inputs into live?

on bomes flashing activity lights *=flash:
    • note played ---*input *output (thru midi makes it flash)
    • cc played -- *input *translate * output (when the translated CCs to note are pressed)

were cooking on gas

but LIVE is not recognising any midi input from any output selected in bomes?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by RD444; 02-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Tech Guru

If you're using Bome's to turn around MIDI messages from a controller, you don't map directly to the controller in the target application (Live). Remember, now Bome's is doing the talking. Bome's has virtual MIDI ports, and you want the target app to "talk to" those virtual ports instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast