Back in 2013, Reloop launched a portable recording device shaped exactly like a cassette tape. While it looked cool, it relied on a lot of external connections (power, external USB drive) to make it work. Now the company is launching the Reloop Tape 2, a fresh new take on the clever original design. This time, it has a built-in battery and a microSD card slot – no connections required.
Reloop Tape 2
- Product: Tape 2 recording device
- Manufacturer: Reloop
- Price: $179.99 / €149.99 / £130
- Availability: End of September
The design of the original Reloop Tape was almost perfect – it was the pure complexity of the connections required that really made it a non-starter. Reloop has taken the technological innovations in the last 6 years (battery and memory advances) and built a much more reasonable device to set up at every DJ set with the Tape 2.
The Tape 2 has a built in lithium-ion battery that can last up to 6 hours on one charge (you also can add on a USB power supply and connect it with a MicroUSB cable for longer sets). There’s a microSD card slot, with support for FAT32 formatted cards up to 128GB (which these days are just $27 on Amazon). Plug the Tape 2 into a computer and it turns into a card reader as well.
How Do You Record?
Connect to the Tape 2 with either Line or Mic level sources via a 3.5mm (1/8″) jack input – and it has a THRU output to allow pass through audio to your headphone monitor or speakers. This means even if your DJ setup doesn’t have a record out, you can still integrate the Tape 2 as a recording device with the right cables.
According to the press release, the “built-in A/D converters offer high-grade, 24-bit sound recording to either lossless WAV or MP3 (320 kbps) formats” – and as on the original, this is selectable via a simple switch on the device.
Worries about hitting switches? There’s now a lock function that locks/unlocks every control on the device, meaning it’s less likely anyone will accidentally stop the recording.
Features + Tech Specs
- Selectable recording format: WAV (lossless) or MP3
- Integrated lithium-ion rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of active recording
- Line level and mic level input for connection of mixers or dynamic microphones
- THRU output for monitoring/connecting headphones or when separated REC out is available
- Fail-safe recording without complicated adjustments
- Lock/unlock functionality provides protection against accidentally stopping while recording
- Simple handling even in dark surroundings
- Input gain control
- Bi-LED feedback (power/REC, SD card full, signal/peak, battery)
- High-quality A/D converters in 24-bit
- HiSpeed slot for microSD cards (class 10 recommended)
- Card reader functionality during active USB connection with a computer
- Sync Tool: software that allows to identify recordings with a time stamp
- Kensington lock to secure the device
- Can be charged with any standard mobile power adapter (5 V)
- Enclosed sticker sets allow for an individualized look
- Input: 1x line/mic 3.5 mm stereo mini jack
- Output: 1x line 3.5 mm stereo mini jack (THRU)
- microSD slot for cards up to 128 GB (FAT32)
- Recording format: WAV or MP3 (320 kbp/s)
- Recording quality: 24-bit/48 kHz
- Dimensions: 103 (w) x 14 (d) x 65 (h) mm
- Weight: 59 g
- Power supply: 5V micro-USB
- Incl. RCA to 3.5mm stereo mini jack cable, micro USB cable, 3 sticker sets
More details on Reloop’s official product page here.