Beyond the Traktor news, NI has a whole host of new production hardware and software announcements. They’re doubling down on budget gear, with a MK3 edition of the Maschine Mikro and a new line of A-Series Komplete Kontrol keyboards that are priced for smaller wallets. There’s also a new edition of Komplete 12, and a few other updates that many producers will be excited by.
Maschine Mikro MK3
- Product: Maschine Mikro MK3
- Price: $249 / £199 / €249
- Availability: Now! (Order in the DJTT Store)
- Release Date: September 18th 2018
Yes! The tiniest, most portable Maschine controller is getting the MK3 makeover that the regular Maschine received last year. Much of the same controls are still packed into the pads on the Mikro, and the slimmed down form factor redesign follows as well.
NI has done something clever with the screen on the Mikro MK3, packing a lot of information into a fairly small display, showing you what you’re currently controlling. It comes with the Maschine software, full versions of Massive, Monark, Reaktor Prism, and the whole Maschine Factory Selection of samples and instruments.
If you’re looking for a nice starter foray into production and want a groovebox-style controller to do it with, the Mikro MK3 looks damn compelling – especially at $249.
A-Series Kontrol Keyboards
- Products: Komplete Kontrol A25/A49/A61
- Prices: $149 / $199 / $249
- Availability: Preorder in the DJTT store (25 / 49 / 61)
- Release Date: October 23rd
NI makes some really nice MIDI keyboards, but frankly, for a lot of budding home producers, they are expensive overkill. That’s the thinking behind the new A-Series lineup, which takes a lot of the great design of the S-Series and simplifies it for a healthy price break.
The keys are semi-weighted – and feel really good at this price point. You also get:
- Informative OLED display for at-a-glance navigation (it’s the same design as the Maschine Mikro MK3 display)
- 8 touch-sensitive control knobs
- Ergonomic pitch and mod wheels
- 4-directional push encoder for one-handed sound browsing and project navigation
- Pre-mapped control of KOMPLETE Instruments and Effects plus hundreds of Native Kontrol Standard (NKS) plug-ins from leading manufacturers via the KOMPLETE KONTROL Software
- Deep integration with MASCHINE software
- Intuitive control over Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, and GarageBand at launch. Cubase and Nuendo integration coming soon after initial release
- TRS pedal input, assignable to sustain or expression • USB 2.0 bus powered
- Can be used / assigned as a MIDI controller
- Includes a comprehensive collection of KOMPLETE Instruments and Effects, KOMPLETE KONTROL Software, and MASCHINE ESSENTIALS (full MASCHINE software plus 1.6 GB MASCHINE Factory Selection)
Komplete 12 + Massive X + Kontakt 6
- Product: Komplete 12 / Ultimate / Ultimate (Collector’s Edition)
- Price: $599 / $1199 / $1599
- Availability: Now! (Order in the DJTT store Komplete 12 / Komplete 12 Ultimate / Komplete 12 Collector’s Edition)
- Release Date: October 1st 2018
There’s a massive world of software instruments out there (pun intended), and Native Instruments absolutely holds a strong library of these production tools. In a today’s update, they’ve announced the new generation of Komplete, which includes a number of new tools:
“KOMPLETE 12 is available in four differently-sized packages: KOMPLETE 12, SELECT, ULTIMATE, and the new Collector’s Edition – a fifteenth anniversary celebration that packs 150 instruments, effects, and Expansions on to a silver aluminium HDD.
New additions include KONTAKT 6, SESSION GUITARIST – ELECTRIC SUNBURST, the innovative kick and bass synth TRK-01, and for the first time ever, Expansions sound packs. KOMPLETE 12 also includes MASSIVE X[…]
With unparalleled signal processing power and a powerful modular approach, this entirely new synthesizer rips up the sound design rulebook to offer unprecedented sonic potential. Created by the same team that built the original, MASSIVE X reimagines what a state-of-the-art sound engine can be, with new subtractive filters, new insert effects, and a new performer for complex sound shaping.”
The full Komplete 12 production suite (in many different cross-grade/upgrade packages) will be available starting October 1st, as will the Kontakt 6 sampling platform. Massive X will be released February 2019, but any previous Komplete 12 owners will get it added as a free download upon release.
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2
One final new production product to mention: the Komplete Kontrol S88, which is the last of the S-series keyboards to get a MK2 update. Here’s what NI has to say:
“The fully-weighted, hammer-action Fatar keybed gives an authentic piano-feel, whilst the hi-res color screens and Light Guide provide at-a-glance visual guidance. With pre-mapped control of all KOMPLETE Instruments and Effects and hundreds of NKS plug-ins, intuitive DAW integration, and full VST compatibility, the S88 is the ideal centerpiece for any studio or stage setup.
All S-Series keyboards now include KOMPLETE 12 SELECT and MASCHINE Essentials software.”
The S88 MK2 is set to launch September 27th, at a price of $999 / £799 / €999.
Traktor Pro 3 Details | Kontrol S4 With Motorized Jogwheels | A Mobile-Friendly Kontrol S2 | Komplete/Maschine Updates
[…] studio, there are lots of options at many different price points. Last year’s introduction of the Komplete A-Series gave Native Instruments a strong foothold in budget-minded keyboards. But for many producers, […]
[…] there are lots of options at many different price points. Last year’s introduction of the Komplete A-Series gave Native Instruments a strong foothold in budget-minded keyboards. But for many producers, […]