The digital and analog worlds finally collide today with the release of the new PLX-CRSS12 from Pioneer DJ. This hybrid turntable gives artists quite the double-header of features, with the ability for both analog playback and tone-arm-free DVS control. No more concerns for needle skipping either, thanks to its new MAGVEL clamp that holds the record in place.
Since the Rane Twelve in 2017 and the Phase DJ controllers before that, many DJs have wondered when Pioneer DJ would release their own similar style device: wonder no longer. It comes in at a whopping $1,399 (about $300 more expensive than a Rane Twelve), and is set to be released in just under two months.
Here’s the rundown of the PLX-CRSS12’s key highlights:
- Tone-arm-free DVS control, which removes removes needle skipping in Digital Vinyl Mode
- A replaceable MAGVEL clamp to secure the record and control the digital music file. The dial also allows users to choose your own ideal weight setting – so you can play with the torque, test the record as it becomes heavier or lighter – without adjusting or changing any slip mats or sheets. Choose one of three deck-stopping speeds with the switch on the front of the PLX.
- Compatibility with Serato DJ Pro and rekordbox + ability to connect to both PC and Mac to utilize them
- 4 MIDI-mapped Performance Pads + a dedicated button to switch between them
- Native support for said pads:
- Serato DJ Pro: Hot Cue, Sampler, Stems, Scratch Bank, Roll, Saved Loop
- rekordbox: Hot Cue, Sampler, Track Separation, Sample Scratch, Pad FX1, Beat Jump
- Built-in OLED display with track information, i..e. tempo range, key, BPM, and deck number
- Crafted for high-quality audio on both analog and digital, based on the sound quality of the previous PLX-1000 turntable
Amusingly, this might be one of the biggest mouthfuls of a Pioneer DJ device we’ve seen yet. We’re left wondering: what will the shorthand for this device be? “Cross 12” or “PLX-12”? The 12 in the name is of course a classic callout to the size of vinyl records, but the similarity to the name of Rane’s main similar offering can’t be ignored. We’ll be excited to see how it stacks up!
For the nitty-gritty specs, head to the Pioneer DJ website.
Expected to be available in late September, the PLX-CRSS12 is priced at $1,399 and you can find it in the DJTT shop. In the meantime, let us know: what do you think of this release? Sound off in the comments below!