We are always working deep in the DJTT labs on new ideas that push the limits of DJing while staying within the bounds of what might be useful in a live set. Today, I am proud to introduce a new concept that has been in development for several months: super combos. A super combo is just like the Street Fighter game, where you use a few basic controls in a very specific sequence to produce different and remarkable results. Everyone knows that with the right flick of the wrist, a simple punch gets turned in a fireball in the Street Fighter series. It’s also no secret that the Midi-Fighter is inspired by that classic game, so it seemed absolutely natural to build on the concept of using secret combos in the world of DJ controllers. Continue reading for a video demo of the new “Instant Gratification” mapping for the S4, which contains super combos, free Street Fighter sound packs and a new mix contest!
This was designed for use with the S4 but can be used in a lot of other contexts. The primary requirement was instant aural destruction of any audio source with zero opportunity for messing up a song (all buttons are mapped to instant FX). This mapping takes advantage of the brand new 4 banks mode (4 banks is included in the newest firmware update), which allows the top 4 buttons to switch between 4 banks of notes. Here are the basics:
- Each bank controls one of the four decks, A/B/C/D
- Each button loads, activates and routes a specific effect to that deck
- The effects are chained (from bottom to top) so you can build on them producing almost endless sonic possibilities
- They are designed to be played in combination, similar to my original “cue point chord” concept
- There are 5 super combos hidden in the mapping
- Each combo kicks in when a specific sequence of events happen
- They are all designed to be used musically in a 4, 8 or 16 count sequence.
GET YOUR MIDI FIGHT ON!
To celebrate the mapping release and see what you can do with it, we are running a contest and providing free Street Fighter samples. Use these samples, in conjunction with any beat of your choice and a Midi-Fighter, to create your own personal brand of sonic mayhem. Create a video of the results and you can win $200 credit towards anything in the web store. Here are the steps:
- Download the samples here
- Download the Instant Gratification mapping (Midi-Fighter required for this one)
- Pick your own beat (the simpler the better!)
- Mix the 2 together in a creative way using the mapping
- Make a video of the results
- Add it as a video response to THIS VIDEO
- The winner will be announced in the forum in 30 days (March 7th)
Some recommendations would be:
- Sequence the samples together in a unique way (as shown in this article)
- Use another controller, like the S4 or Midi-Fighter, to launch or loop the samples over a beat.
- Take advantage of the mapping to break down the samples and the beat
- Find the super combos and show your skills!
LEARN HOW TO BUILD THIS MAPPING YOURSELF WITH ANY CONTROLLER
That’s great, you might be thinking, but I don’t have a Midi-Fighter so how can I use this concept? Don’t worry, our resident mapping expert, Chris Lim, will be showing you how to track multiple button conditions using complex modifier techniques in just 2 days. Get plenty of rest and don’t forget your vitamin B kids, because this stuff is not easy!