Serato DJ comes out with another strong release today that provides new functionality like Flip mode, along with some older loved features missing from Scratch Live such as AM mode (hide your tracks) and Chronological cues. A new MIDI Map panel also promises to provide deeper control over the software for those who may wish to dive deeper into the realm of customization. Serato DJ 1.7 is available now from serato.com/dj.
Serato DJ 1.7
Here are some of the more notable new functions that rolled out with 1.7 that our feature-craving readers might enjoy!
The much talked about cue point juggle saving feature saves you a trip to the DAW by providing real-time play back of non-linear edits on the fly. In a new detailed video from the Serato DJ team, P-money talks about how he uses the new feature for more than just edits:
SERATO DVS Expansion Pack
Now owners of a few specific controllers including, Denon DJ MC6000MK2, Numark N4 and Pioneer DDJ-SX2, can upgrade to get full DVS control on a budget. (that’s turntables via timecode for the non-scratchers out there). The update allows use of the controllers’ internal soundcards for the software – something that for a long time was limited to just a few licensed soundcards and mixers.
NEW MIDI MAPPING PANEL
A new MIDI panel inside Serato DJ that allows you to MIDI map additional software features such as Library Scroll, Loop Rolls, Instant Doubles, Loop Shift, a dedicated combo HP / LP filter for each channel + much more.
- AM Mode: Hide the artist and track information displayed in the Virtual Deck area (this was previously an easter egg in the software, but is now a real feature!)
- Chronological Cue Points: A highly popular Scratch Live feature, now available in Serato DJ
- Rearrange Cues
- Smaller Quantize Values
- Library Optimization
Now let’s turn it over to our Serato DJ readers out there. Help us fill in the gaps in the comments with your thoughts and observations.
- What new features are exposed in the MIDI Map Panel?
- How do you feel about the prices for the new expansion packs (Flip and DVS)?
- What Quantize Values are now possible – do they work well?